opinions? 4r100 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

opinions? 4r100

so i think im going to keep my 7.3l. why get rid of a truck that gives me literally no problems at all? anyways thats besides the point. my tranny, i did some searching on here and found some mixed opinions.

i have 210,000 miles, trans is in perfect shape, fluid is red, it shifts great, ive had dp tunes for 2 years. in 120/140 tunes the tq converter will slip WOP, not bad, but you can tell its not putting full power to the ground. Id like to upgrade my trans but i certainly do not have 4500 for a full built trans. i dont really plan on going any higher in power (MAYBE a set of injectors..but that would be it most likely) so i know i wouldnt probly get past 450hp with this thing.

for say a max of 450hp, would an upgraded converter and valve body be okay? i was thinking billet input and output shafts but is it totally necessary at that power level? i know my buddy kept blowing the forward drum on his 95 e40d with just tunes. not sure what is truly necessary for a mediocore power level. if anything ill probably stay at my current level of just tunes for awhile anyways. i just dont want to throw in a converter and valve body and then start breaking other parts...

Late 99 ECLB XLT 7.3 - DP tunes, 4" straight pipe, DIY intake, gutted EBPV, gutted pedestal, gauges, 08 mirrors, 35s w/ no lift - STOLEN...recovered
97 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3 - beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:25 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: opinions? 4r100

450 HP..you need a BTS oor JW trans period..

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Im stroke-less

Just spend the coin and be done with it.

06 Silverado ecsb 4x4 I know I know

02 F250,ccsb,4x4,7.3,superchip 1705 for now
,afe stage2 intake,4in turbo back exhaust,leveled on 35s,tint and a few speakers and one big amp. More mods to come. Php tunes ordered. Sold

93 Chevy silverado 1500 with a few mods.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

eh not the answers i was looking for.. lol. shes going to stay as is more than likely. probly hop into a different truck. i spent 5k on this truck no chance in hell im spending almost the same on a trans and still not even push 500hp

Late 99 ECLB XLT 7.3 - DP tunes, 4" straight pipe, DIY intake, gutted EBPV, gutted pedestal, gauges, 08 mirrors, 35s w/ no lift - STOLEN...recovered
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j440 View Post
i know my buddy kept blowing the forward drum on his 95 e40d with just tunes.
I'd be curious to know how the forward drum failed in your buddys trans. Did the drum itself come apart or did he just blow the cup plug out?

And I'm not trying to be a smarta**, but when you price out quality transmission parts and a quality billet converter, you're going to be nearly 3/4 of the way to buying a BTS. I'm building my E4OD right now because I wanted to do it myself and I searched the country for the best deals I could get, but it's still expensive. And I'm putting it behind a stock 7.3L. At 450 hp you're looking at a better converter than I bought and the upgraded input in addition to everything else I bought. Those are two high dollar parts there. You don't need the billet output until you're getting closer to 500-550 hp unless you want to put it in now so you can bump the power later?

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Im stroke-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by j440 View Post
eh not the answers i was looking for.. lol. shes going to stay as is more than likely. probly hop into a different truck. i spent 5k on this truck no chance in hell im spending almost the same on a trans and still not even push 500hp
If you plan on keepin it for a long time then i would save money for the trans. Its guaranteed. You wouldnt ever have to worry bout that again.

06 Silverado ecsb 4x4 I know I know

02 F250,ccsb,4x4,7.3,superchip 1705 for now
,afe stage2 intake,4in turbo back exhaust,leveled on 35s,tint and a few speakers and one big amp. More mods to come. Php tunes ordered. Sold

93 Chevy silverado 1500 with a few mods.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

well thats the thing guys. ive been contemplating getting rid of it for awhile now and thought maybe id keep it. the trans is the only thing in the back of my head that i know could fail me on the truck, other than its bulletproof. not saying its giving me issues now, i mean im not saying that i drive like a grandma, but i do go easy on it most of the time. though it has seens its days of abuse too. like i said 2 years of tunes on a 210k mile STOCK tranny, i just wanted to beef it up alittle so i didnt have to keep wondering when im going to stop at a light and not go anywhere lol. i doubt ill actually put injectors in i was just saying if i ever did i would never go past 450. it would probly just stay tuned and call it a day.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Smoothcriminal

Id keep it n maybe get a converter an vb for it but thats my opinion. Mu truck has 188,000 trans is weak so i bought a good used one that has hardly 100,000. Guy did a 5 spd swap just because thats what he prefers. I will prob do the same later but for now thats the route i took. Bought a vb n tc from racer x. Just started pullin my trans out the other day and going to put the other one in. Will see how it goes.

1996 F-250
D60 swap, future plans 12v and nv4500
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

hey guys, another trans question. i know the deal for swapping a zf6 into a super duty, but what about a zf5? i have access to one. is it the same exact swap as the 6 speed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode