Might be a problem? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Might be a problem?

I had my tranny rebuilt probably 6000 miles ago with some upgrades but the dude put a stock tc in it.. Well I now have a triple disc tc that I'm gonna throw in... I've seen people talking about leakage when you remove a tc from the tranny and reinstall it but my question is: what seal is it that will leak/what seal do I need to replace when I do this? Or is that not actually a problem? I'd like to pick the seal up if I need to before I get started on this, thanks for your help...

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 AM
<--BAGHDAD

Re: Might be a problem?

you shouldnt have to replace it if you are carefully and go straight out and in with the old and new one. the leaking it probly just the fluid coming out of the TC. otherwise the only leaking that i know of is the front pump seals and thats usually only on cheap or stock pump seals. they have upgraded ones that you can get for them, but the guy should have done that already. one of the main causes for this too is improper grounding. if the tranny aint grounded then it will ground itself at the pump seal. if i were you and it aint done yet, i'd run a wire from your dust cover bolt to the frame. it dont have to big a big wire either, just something to ground with. this is JMO though.

95 CCLB, 3"DP-4"SP w/5" Silverline Tip, TS 6pos. w/Scheid custom tunes, DIY Intake, Custom Built Tranny, FPR Mod, Glowshift 7 color Gauges, Ranch Hand all the way around
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for your help man! Wish me luck!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

One more question... Is there an easy way to tell which of the seals he used (upgraded or stock)? Thanks again
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
PSN Veteran

There is the pump seal and there is the torque converter seal. The tc seal is the one you should replace. It is a thin square cut hard rubber seal that goes on the input shaft. It cost like $5 i think

2003 F350 cclb 6.0
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 AM
<--BAGHDAD

i'm wanting to say the upgraded seal is steel as the stock is aluminum, dont quote me on that though. and yes there is a TC seal too and that should be replaced, but as far as a leaking seal problem the front pump seal is the one that i know that goes bad and the one you usually hear about and thats why they made an upgraded one.

95 CCLB, 3"DP-4"SP w/5" Silverline Tip, TS 6pos. w/Scheid custom tunes, DIY Intake, Custom Built Tranny, FPR Mod, Glowshift 7 color Gauges, Ranch Hand all the way around
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Alright thanks! Are these things I needa get from the dealership? Or local parts store?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 PM
<--BAGHDAD

local parts store should have them. if you go that route though, go to like napa, federated or somethin like that. if you can find a tranny shop or a place online that does custom tranny builds then i would buy from them cause most likely they will know what your wanting and will have them on hand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode