E4OD problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

E4OD problems

My E4OD has been acting funny off and on. About every 3rd or 4th time I drive my truck it will shift funny. It will either not shift out of 1st and just rev up or while at highway speed it will slip a little bit and the OD light will start to blink. This will also kick the cruise control off.

The transmission has been rebuilt twice. Once by the original owner at 105,000 miles and once by me at 111,000 miles (less than 20,000 easy miles on current tranny rebuild). I beieve this was in part to a topper being put on at 100,000 miles and the high mount truck brake light being removed.

When I had it rebuilt it was to have a triple disc converter, tugger shift kit, and new selenoid.

Anyway, looking for ideas on what could be causing this. This may sound strange, but it seems to me like it is an electrical problem as it only acts this way some of the time. Other times it runs what I would say as normal.

The mods(1.5's, T-500, and tunes by PHP) were just done and have less than 150 miles on the truck. Was doing this before and now. I was kinda hoping the PHP tunes would clear the tranny stuff up.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

1997 F-350, Crew, 7.3, LB, Centurion package. Napa intake, MBRP exhaust, Built tranny, Stage 1.5 from Rosewood, T-500, 6 Pos chip from PHP, EBPV delete, gutted pedistal, Tranny Temp, Boost, & Pyro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: E4OD problems

If the od light flashed then its time to hook it to a scanner

02 f250
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Okay, I would assume most mechanic shops have a scanner to read the older 7.3's. Not really wanting to take it to a Dealership.

1997 F-350, Crew, 7.3, LB, Centurion package. Napa intake, MBRP exhaust, Built tranny, Stage 1.5 from Rosewood, T-500, 6 Pos chip from PHP, EBPV delete, gutted pedistal, Tranny Temp, Boost, & Pyro.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 04:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Most should if they do work on them, so take it to a shop that does work on diesels

02 f250
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Can any auto parts store with an OBDII scanner read the code or will it have to be a repair shop that works on diesels?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

No auto parts store is going to have the right tool to read Ford transmission codes. Most repair shops can do it, as can all Ford dealers.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Mark, would this make any sense. The truck had an alarm/remote start put on it years ago by original owner. The wires were just quick spliced when it was installed. It seems when the remote start is not working is when the tranny acts up. It shifts like the TC is not locking up and shifts very hard. If I press on some of the quick connects it seems to run fine the next time I drive it??

Any chance some of this wiring is messing with the system and not completing a circuit?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy1 View Post
Mark, would this make any sense. The truck had an alarm/remote start put on it years ago by original owner. The wires were just quick spliced when it was installed. It seems when the remote start is not working is when the tranny acts up. It shifts like the TC is not locking up and shifts very hard. If I press on some of the quick connects it seems to run fine the next time I drive it??

Any chance some of this wiring is messing with the system and not completing a circuit?
Your od light flashed.....get the code instead of guessing.

02 f250
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Anything is possible. Without knowing the codes I have no idea what' wrong. It could be the wiring, it could be something inside the trans. I don't know.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I will try to get the codes read tomorrow and will post back.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode