BTS E4OD broken, please help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
<---F350 DRIFTER

BTS E4OD broken, please help

I should have posted this here first. I forgot we had a transmission forum down here. Anyway my BTS transmission took a dump yesterday. It has been working great until this happened. I was towing my 10k toyhauler and and was blasting up a hill and blew an intercooler boot at 32psi and 3k rpm's. Luckily I was able to get right off the freeway on a deserted on ramp and fix that. Went to take off and I thought it made a short "squeal or screech" that sounded like it came from underneath. It took off just fine then was a little sloppy from first to second. Second to third was nice and firm but when I was up to speed and it went to go to fourth the torque converter would not lock up. I locked OD out and tried again...no lockup. I locked it out until I was to the top of the next hill, I tried it once more then..nothing at all, the engine would rev but no power to the ground. I put it in neutral and literally coasted three miles to the next exit. I changed the filter and the fluid in the pan a month ago or so and at the time the old fluid looked ok and smelled normal. Tonite I drained the pan and the fluid was darker than before, but still looked "ok" except when I would shine the flashlight I could see a bunch of what looks like very fine metal flakes I plan on calling Brian Monday. But does anyone have any suggestions for what I should start looking at? It is going to be several hundred dollars just to ship it to him if it comes to that.
Thanks and sorry for the long post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSD. CC 4X4 195K, IDM mod, 6 Leaker IC, DP Tuner 6pos chip, WOP QSSB Turbo, kit by Carson Stauffer. Swamps 175/146's sticks, CNG kit 35mpg's on the diesel, E-fuel, Adrenaline and converted to a ZF5. RSK rolling on 35's. 4" straight pipe. 2011 f350 ccsb leveled on 35's, I can neither confirm nor deny that it is tuned and deleted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: BTS E4OD broken, please help

Well, since you said you just changed the filter & fluid, is there any chance the filter came unseated or the old filter seal got left in the bore?

Got any way to check line pressure?

No obvious leaks?

The metal would concern me, I think I would be pulling it.

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Diesel Sled Head

Sounds like the converter let go. Talk to Brian, it has to come out to do the converter anyway,so get ready to pull it.

2001 f250 H2E,BTS,Stealth,reg return,mod IDM, spearco,DI Ceramic Headers.. bcode stage 3's Cale's Tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
<---F350 DRIFTER

No way the old seal got left in as I had to pry it out.
I will pull the pan today or tomorrow to see if the new filter came out.
No obvious leaks but there was a small amount of oil on my rear axle and fuel tank shield, like it spurted some out for a split second...but I have not been able to determine where it came from, and there was not any on my transfer case?????

PSD. CC 4X4 195K, IDM mod, 6 Leaker IC, DP Tuner 6pos chip, WOP QSSB Turbo, kit by Carson Stauffer. Swamps 175/146's sticks, CNG kit 35mpg's on the diesel, E-fuel, Adrenaline and converted to a ZF5. RSK rolling on 35's. 4" straight pipe. 2011 f350 ccsb leveled on 35's, I can neither confirm nor deny that it is tuned and deleted!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 PM
PSN Local

Say its not so a bts broke? I'm sure Brian will fix it his reputation is pretty good. This is my big issue about a bts trans if anything happened I'm 900 miles away from his shop.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
<---F350 DRIFTER

I pulled the pan and there is fine metal shavings all over. The filter was still in place. The little magnet around the drain had a bunch of material stuck to it. I took a magnet and ran it all over the top of the filter and pulled up a bunch of metal flakes. It sure looks like a catastrophic failure of something happend. Unfortunately Brian is $$$$ just in shipping from me. It was defiantly something I was hoping to do only once!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Just curious how many miles do you have on that BTS trans?

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
<---F350 DRIFTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketracer View Post
Just curious how many miles do you have on that BTS trans?
40-50k i would have to look it up to get an exact number......way to few for it to fail that is for sure!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
<---F350 DRIFTER

Called Brian up this morning and even gave him a couple outs and he would not take them. He just said "just send it in and I will fix it." Then I called up Jacob at wideopenperformance and he let me borrow a box to send it back in. What a great bunch of guys this diesel community is!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
PSN Veteran

what do you mean by giving him a couple of outs?

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode