E4OD wont shift when its cold - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

E4OD wont shift when its cold

I'm having a problem with my tranny. Its a Ford reman unit in a 4R100 case with the extra sensor holes plugged so it should have any factory upgrades done. It also has a TransGo Tugger shift kit. I've never had a problem with it, nice firm crisp shifts. This is a third vehicle, so it will usually only be used lightly on the weekend, if at all.

About a 6 weeks ago I pulled it out after sitting for a week or three, and it wouldnt shift into third. I pedaled it a few times and it finally shifted, after that it shifted flawlessly every time both cold and hot. 2 weeks ago it again had the 2-3 problem when I first pulled it out of its grave, the next few 2-3 shifts were a bit soft, but then was ok. The next day it did it again, and then started to do it if I just let it sit for a few hours. The last time I drove it, it wouldnt even shift out of first until I pedaled it.

Im going to have a friend scan it when its cold so we can see if its actually commanding the shift, I suspect it is though since every other time it shifts. I talked to my tranny guy who is a long time family friend, and he's never seen something like this. His suggestion was to start at the scanner, and then maybe try a solenoid pack since they are pretty cheap at his cost. Then take it from there.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before?

1995 7.3 Bronco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode