E4OD Re-Build Questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

E4OD Re-Build Questions

I have recently come into a situation where I have to rebuild my transmission, and money isn't very plentiful. I've tried to search and get a few answers, but most just say to get a JW or BTS which would be awesome but isn't a possibility right now. My main concern is that I may possibly want to do a mild performance build in the future, by mild I mean 400-450hp. I'm looking at using a Suncoast rebuild kit with probably a JW or BTW valve body and some form of performance converter. I guess what I'm asking is will that combination hold 400hp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 PM

Re: E4OD Re-Build Questions

From what I have read a 4R100 is an E4OD with the updated name for a new Naming system by Ford. It has some parts that are stronger, but most are the same as 97 E4OD's. The older E4OD's had some parts stronger than the 4R100 due to stamped steel cheapo parts. Do some reading and poking around for more info. 4R100 supposedly can take 1000 hp, but the issue that has plagued them has been that Ford took a good tranny, and made it a time bomb by making it shift nice and soft, thus the tranny doesn't get enough oil to key parts, and we get the wonderful tranny that fails scenario that many have complained about. I would use red eagle frictions, kolene steels, one piece rear bushing, a center support ring, and O/D spiral ring from sonnax and a transgo hd2 shift kit. You should also get a triple disk billet torque converter as well as a billet input shaft. I think that may be a little over built, but it is cheap insurance to have that. I don't have kolene steels or red eagle frictions in mine, but I'm sure it will handle what I throw at it and then some.

All this was suggested to me by a top notch tranny shop here for a towing tranny and I told them 400hp. I normally don't trust anyone with my vehicles as far as repairs go, but this shop I'd trust in a heart beat due to the work they have put out as well as reputation. They did the work I was unable to do such as machining the center support for the ring, and the one piece bushing as well as drilling for the shift kit.( I don't trust myself with drilling tiny holes like that)

It's good to see someone that aint afraid of getting inside of a slush box, kudos to you. One of our own bracketracer is building his E4OD/4R100 right now. So I decided to overhaul my E4OD.... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Good luck, and you don't need a fancy high price BTS, etc if you are mechanically inclined take your time and read the instructions.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:37 AM
PSN Veteran

When you're selecting parts for your build, be honest with yourself. Do you still have any toys from your childhood or did all your stuff end up broken? If you fall into the latter category you might be a little rough on things!

I'm leaving my 7.3L pretty much stock. If I was shooting for 400-450 hp I would run the upgraded input shaft, billet converter, iron drums, and steel planet carriers. I'd also make sure you have the newest style pump. The choice of clutch material seems to be a toss up. Some builders like only factory Ford clutches, some opt for the red frictions. Nobody I asked used the blue clutches (I gather they are more drag race oriented since they were highly recommended for my C-6 bracket car).

You can opt for a BTS valve body or a DIY with Sonnax or Trans-go parts. Don't forget that you need to coordinate with your selected chip vendor so you get the right computer tuning for the valve body/accumulator body you select.

I did a lot of shopping in the Sonnax catalog, they offer several fixes for the problems that plague the E4OD/4R100 trannies.

A stock 4R100 rated for 1000 hp? I thought they were shooting for it to handle 1000 nm (about 750 ft-lbs). They fell a little short of that I think. I'm sure I read on here that a 4R100 output shaft won't hold 600 hp. I believe Mark posted that and he would know.

Don't take it apart until you have a factory shop manual on hand and at least a torque wrench that reads from 0-150 in/lbs in addition to the "normal" hand tools. You'll need to buy or make a couple of compressors like what's shown in the thread Ol'Blue referenced. Take pictures as you go of how things came apart. My build is progressing over several months and I refer back to my photos of where each little valve, spring, bearing, and clip goes to aid my memory.

If money isn't very plentiful, you might need to scale back your expectations. I know what I've spent so far on my build and I could see where a guy might easily spend $2k or so for what you're looking at here by the time you get done with machine work and all. Stephen

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM

According to the specs on diesel power network it is 1000 ft/lbs, so i screwed up there, but I would say that nm sounds a lot better. I also wonder if that is from the engine and not the rear wheels? So if there is 750 ft/lbs at the wheels that tranny went bye bye a bit before the engine hit 750 ft/lbs?

It was interesting in finding out what the whole thing means, the 4 is forward speeds, R is rear wheel drive, and the 100 is 1000 nm. I do like it better than Electronic 4 speed Over Drive, to me it is neater with a little more info.

Anyhow OP, listen to this guy he has done some serious homework on this stuff, I followed much of what he posted to put my tranny back together after an incident involving a broken case.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Blue View Post
According to the specs on diesel power network it is 1000 ft/lbs, so i screwed up there, but I would say that nm sounds a lot better. I also wonder if that is from the engine and not the rear wheels?
Neither!

The 1000 lb-ft rating is at the transmission input shaft, which is after the torque converter. The torque converter multiplies engine torque by 1.8:1, so the torque at the engine should be limited to 555 lb-ft.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Thanks for clearing that up Mr. Kovalsky!

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 AM

Yeah, thank you it's good to know this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for the information. I do have alot of my toys, but there's something about driving my truck that makes me want to be a little rough on it. The way I've figured it up I'm somewhere around 1500 in, and still have some more issues to take care of. In all actuality, I may end up having to re-build it stock with the basic fixes and build again when I exceed the limits of what I build due to money issues and needing my truck back. and as far as the labor goes, I have a guy that will re-build it that is a service tech at a chevy dealership, and I have seem him build some pretty good transmissions in the past.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Again, thank you for the help guys. I realize now how expensive this stuff is, and will probably end up going with a good TQ, VB, and I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the HD rebuild and how it holds/or what kind of power it will take. I know it won't take anything serious but what are its limits if anyone knows
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 AM
PSN Veteran

I have never seen a published hp or torque rating for Ford's HD4R100 (If that's what your referring to). I attached the flyer Ford provides to us for info. My brother-in-law put one in his '99 in June of '08. He likes it and it's held up with no problems. We also put the 6.0 trans cooler on at the same time, I'm sure that helps. He says it tows better than the stock trans did. His truck is stock other than exhaust and a mild chip.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4r100HD.pdf (293.5 KB, 15 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode