Trans temp - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Trans temp

This is probably a stupid question but it really has my curiosity up. I have an 05 F-250 and when I fire her up in the morning it takes the normal amount of time (5-10 min depending on outside temp) for the engine to warm up, the trans however reaches normal operating temp in only a couple of minutes. Just doesnt make sense to me. Why so fast on the trans temp? Is this normal or should I be looking for a problem? Did a flush and filter change recently and everything looks and smells and operates fine.

Mark
05 F-250 Lariat
6" lift W/ 35's
Stock W/ Sinister coolant filter system, BPD 6 phase FICM, blue spring upgrade
51 gal Titan fuel tank
Edge Insight CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM
me2
PSN Veteran

Re: Trans temp

That is the way the temps work on my 08.

When the engine is idling the TC is creating heat and thus the transmission warms up faster than the engine. The engine has more liquid and mass to get warm.

New truck.
08 F350 King Ranch
Long box CC 4x4
6.4 5R110
Soon to get a Cummins 6.7 transplant.

Old truck.
Red '99 2WD F250 CC SWB
3rd gen 325/610 Cummins, ZF6
Custom air ride suspension
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 04:04 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
That is the way the temps work on my 08.

When the engine is idling the TC is creating heat and thus the transmission warms up faster than the engine. The engine has more liquid and mass to get warm.
That's completely incorrect. Not even close!

The engine warms up faster than the transmission. Stuff is burning in the engine. That creates heat! Nothing should be burning in the transmission.

When the engine is warming up (that's a waste, but I digress) in park or neutral the torque converter is producing essentially ZERO heat. There is almost no slip, and there is no load, so there is no heat.

The transmission doesn't warm up faster than the engine. The people that engineered the factory gauges decided that the transmission temperature should read right in the middle of normal when the transmission has reached the very hot temperature of 50F. The engine has to get a lot hotter than that to reach the middle of normal.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the input, I plan on getting some gauges soon so I can get a more accurate reading on the trans. Still wondering why they engineered the gauges that way though. My trans gauge never gets above the middle of the normal range and I know my trans gets hotter than 50 degrees.

Mark
05 F-250 Lariat
6" lift W/ 35's
Stock W/ Sinister coolant filter system, BPD 6 phase FICM, blue spring upgrade
51 gal Titan fuel tank
Edge Insight CS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by morseranch View Post
Thanks for the input, I plan on getting some gauges soon so I can get a more accurate reading on the trans. Still wondering why they engineered the gauges that way though. My trans gauge never gets above the middle of the normal range and I know my trans gets hotter than 50 degrees.
Yea gotta love those ford engineers
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

If your gauge goes to the yellow then you are at 230F. Red is 260F. Contrary to popular opinion reaching these temperatures does NOT mean your trans is toast.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode