E4od Fluid Change - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

E4od Fluid Change

Can anyone tell me how much fluid an E4od will take with a complete drain including converter? I don't have the truck with me right now, so I don't know if it has a deep or shallow pan. I bought filters for both, but I won't know for sure until I get back home this weekend. It's in a 1995 F-350 2wd dually cab and chassis behind a 7.3 powerstroke. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: E4od Fluid Change

It left the factory with a shallow pan, as did all 4x2 E4ODs. It should take about 16 quarts to refill it.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thank you so much. The auto parts stores made such a big deal about which pan I didn't know what to think. I just bought the truck, at a really good price, but they "fixed" a leaky tail stock seal and did not replace enough fluid. Now the torque converter shudders and make terrible noises going into lock-up and overdrive. I'm going to see if this will be a miracle cure, or if the trans needs rebuilt. The trans itself works fine shifting and makes no noises cruising. Just afraid the torque is shot. Again, thank you very much.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yep, 4 gallons is what it took. I didn't see any metal, other than a little on the magnet in the trans pan. The torque converter drain is too small for anything to fall out. It still shudders and grinds going into lock-up, but not near as bad. And the fluid was darn near black. Other than that the trans shifts okay. Sometimes it will wind up a bit before shifting to second. It's quiet while driving. I'm going to get it looked at and pray I can get away with just a new TC. One thing that baffles me is the "off" light on the overdrive blinks. It works and will turn OD on and off just fine though. Maybe there's an honest trans man in my area that can help. Thank you very much for your help.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The blinking light means there is a transmission code stored in the PCM. A good trans shop can read that code and use it to diagnose what's wrong.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode