Transmission temps - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Transmission temps

What is to hot for a tranny? Pulling my Skid loader the other day mine got to 260 and I was on a little two lane back road and couldn't pull over. I bought a 6.0 cooler that hasn't arrived yet but what usually causes it to heat up that bad. I was probably pulling around 14,000 pounds with the loader and trailer plus I am running the semi conversion so tire measure around 36" it's an e99 dually. Do you think it's ok how bad will high temps hurt it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: Transmission temps

Running that high is not good for it. What causes it is a heavy load causing the torque converter unlocked. Your oversize tires with stock gearing and big load is causing a HUGE load on the torque converter. A 6.0L cooler will help, but if you are going to keep towing this load you need to change the axle ratio.

You're early '99 probably doesn't have a cooler in the radiator. A radiator with a cooler will help a lot, too.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Changed back to stock bit it's still heating up quick in a 5 mile trip it was up to 210

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

If the trans cooler is restricted the cooler bypass will open and little if any fluid will go to the cooler. It's also possible that the spring in the bypass has fatigued and isn't holding the bypass closed when it should.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I changed back to stock but it is still heating up really bad even on the highway empty its getting up to 180* I had a load of rock in the bed on the scale I was at 14,200# and by the time I got to my house 7-8 stop lights it was up to 230* I don't think that's right any idea why that may be? It doesn't feel like the tranny is slipping or anything it still seems to pull great it's just getting hot.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techteacher View Post
I don't think that's right any idea why that may be?
Did you read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
You're early '99 probably doesn't have a cooler in the radiator. A radiator with a cooler will help a lot, too.
Or maybe this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
If the trans cooler is restricted the cooler bypass will open and little if any fluid will go to the cooler. It's also possible that the spring in the bypass has fatigued and isn't holding the bypass closed when it should.

Mark

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have a cooler from a 6.0 I just need time to put it on. I just figured temps that high may mean something is wrong. I will check the bypass tomorrow.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

There can be several things wrong. Two are listed above.

Mark

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
PSN Veteran

I have a dumb question, I have my truck and driving daily temps on my stage 3 programming I'm running 210-220 degrees and I know that's WAY TOO HIGH!...where is this bypass located and how do I check if it's bad? right now I'm running 40" toyos on 3.73's but do nothing more than MAYBE 15 miles of highway at a time and no hills whatsoever. I am having it regeared this summer to 4.56's or 4.88's I haven't decided yet.

Chad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

00 F350, 08 clone, 3" cowl hood,billet grilles, 15" lift, 40" SS M16'S, 24X12 Rockstars, 2% tint, EBPV Delete, 4" duals w/7" tips, 6637 intake, WW, CCV Mod, PHP 80,120 race,140 Extreme, stage 1 single shots, 6.0 I/C

Chad
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Rock Steady

Think I might have copied this from one on Marks post awhile back.

I believe its a small black approx. 8"long and 3/8"dia. tube diagnoly placed on passenger side of trans , fastened with a banjo bolt at either end .

2000 F-450 Dump NLTD tunes

Last edited by 4duggan; 05-09-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode