06 F350 Transmission jerks on hills at highway speed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

06 F350 Transmission jerks on hills at highway speed

I just bought an 06 F350, FX4, 6.0, CC, LB, with 325/65/18 tires, a couple weeks ago. I've only put 600 miles on it, it has 116,000. Right before I bought it, it had: head studs, Ford head gaskets, all 8 injectors, EGR cooler, all done by a Ford dealer where the truck was bought new and serviced. I checked the transmission fluid before we brought it home, and it was red, and maybe 1/2 qt low. I have not checked it on this trip. It ran fine all the way home, but it was flat ground. And now on a trip to Missouri, in the hills, with the cruise on, it kind of bucks and jerks, as the cruise is trying to maintain the speed at 70 mph. I can make it do it without the cruise by trying to maintain the speed up the hill. If I just ease up the hill and loose some mph by the top, I don't have this problem. Only when the cruise is trying to maintain the speed, or I try to maintain the speed, does it do it. The tach does not change when this is going on. Depending on the size of the hill, it will do it one time, maybe twice. If it does it twice in one hill, I turn the cruise off and run it myself and let it loose a little speed. I plan on towing a 14,000 lb boat so I'd like to get this resolved before then. I have not changed any filters of any kind yet, that's this coming week. Can anybody tell me which Mercon and where to get it? I've read it's only available from Ford, unless you run something like Amzoil. I have a Scangauge 2 hooked up but have not checked for codes yet. I do not have CEL showing. Hopefully it's a solenoid or something I can replace.

Thanks,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: 06 F350 Transmission jerks on hills at highway speed

You need MERCON SP or MERCON LV. Anything else will kill the solenoids.

I've seen many trucks do what your's does. It was always an engine problem, not a transmission problem.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the reply. I wonder where I start looking for engine issues.........scan for codes?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Also this is my first Ford ever in almost 40 years since I got my license. I'm a GM guy always. I did a ton of research on the 6.0 before buying........I'm Ford stupid.
Steve
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Stopped in to the dealer that did all the work on the truck in my first post. Drove about 2 hours to the dealer on the way home from a trip. It bucked and jerked numerous times on the way. Dealer hooked it up to the scanner and there are no codes of any kind. He said if it bucks twice it should throw a code. Only recommendation was to add cetane boost. Injectors have 800 miles on them. I'll keep looking and see what I can come up with.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 AM
PSN Local

IPR sensor. Mine did the same thing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'll check that out. Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Monty'sWhiteF250

Yeah I was also told to check the IPR on mine to. Havent just yet tho.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

White 2003 6.0L Ext. Cab with 4inch MBRP turbo back straight piped exhaust with black 6inch mitre cut stacks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode