How to cool a hot transmission - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

How to cool a hot transmission

So today I took a 3hr trip from Goldsboro NC to Columbia SC.. I was watching my tranny temp, and it was mostly 170-180. Then for about a hour it hit 190-200, then dropped right back to 170-180.. The whole time I was cruising about 75-80mph. Friday I'll be doing this same trip but pulling my 4000 pound dodge charger with a uhaul trailer. Obviously I'll be driving slower, but if I start to run hot while towing, what the best way to cool it down? Truck is 2003 7.3 lariat ext cab..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Keep er shinny side up!

Re: How to cool a hot transmission

Pull over and idle it, high idle if you can. Don't shut the truck off to cool it down.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM
D66stroke

Pulling over to cool it down would be a waste of time since a trans heats up faster than it cools down once it's warm. With 200 not being bad at all, buy a cheap multi-row cooler and some rubber hose from the local auto parts store for the time being. Takes 5 minutes to install if you put it in line with your stock cooler

97 F-250, 300/100's, e-fuel, Gearhead tunes, Stokers Unlimited stage 3 trans and T4 mount, s366, ARP studs, Comp 910's, Smith Bros PR's

09 Cadillac CTS-V, long tubes/Xpipe, Jeremy Formato tuned, ID850's, 2.38 upper pulley, NorCal icebox, Hennessy heat exchanger

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Keep er shinny side up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarengts View Post
So today I took a 3hr trip from Goldsboro NC to Columbia SC.. I was watching my tranny temp, and it was mostly 170-180. Then for about a hour it hit 190-200, then dropped right back to 170-180.. The whole time I was cruising about 75-80mph. Friday I'll be doing this same trip but pulling my 4000 pound dodge charger with a uhaul trailer. Obviously I'll be driving slower, but if I start to run hot while towing, what the best way to cool it down? Truck is 2003 7.3 lariat ext cab..
Pretty sure he's not going to install a cheap multi-row cooler while on the side of the interstate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by D66stroke View Post
Pulling over to cool it down would be a waste of time since a trans heats up faster than it cools down once it's warm. With 200 not being bad at all, buy a cheap multi-row cooler and some rubber hose from the local auto parts store for the time being. Takes 5 minutes to install if you put it in line with your stock cooler
as far as pulling over to cool it down being a waste of time....

you ain't earnin' if you ain't turnin'
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 AM
D66stroke

Pretty sure he said he's not going until Friday, pretty sure he can find time to install it between now and then

97 F-250, 300/100's, e-fuel, Gearhead tunes, Stokers Unlimited stage 3 trans and T4 mount, s366, ARP studs, Comp 910's, Smith Bros PR's

09 Cadillac CTS-V, long tubes/Xpipe, Jeremy Formato tuned, ID850's, 2.38 upper pulley, NorCal icebox, Hennessy heat exchanger
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Keep er shinny side up!

read what he said,
Quote:
but if I start to run hot while towing, what the best way to cool it down?
He clearly asked what he could do to cool it down IF it ran hot while towing...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 AM
D66stroke

I know, I read it. I was just giving him another option, wasn't like I was saying you were wrong

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Keep er shinny side up!

No just a waste of time...either way, have fun with it, and good luck to the OP
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks guys, actually I'm about to deploy, that's why I'm pulling the car to SC. When I get back, imma get a cooler out of a 6.0. I don't wanna spend the money now, cause the truck gonna be sitting for 6mths. Hopefully the trip goes well, I'll let you all know. Thanks for the tips...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

When idling to cool the trans it must be in park or neutral. I'm sure that's obvious to almost everyone, but just in case it wasn't....

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode