transmission up grade?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

transmission up grade??

I have an 2002 7.3 with the 4R100 and would like to up grade to a 6 speed auto. Im wondering witch transmission would be the best and most cost effective? Alison or maybe fords new one. Anyone do this too there truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: transmission up grade??

Most cost effective would be to just get a built 4R100.

~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, PHP Phoenix-(STK-80dd-100P-120R-65T-40T) 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, Fisher 8' MM2. Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203*TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing...~AE w/Ford Pack~
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

True but want the performance of a 6 speed...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02-7.3 View Post
True but want the performance of a 6 speed...
What performance? It's going to be slower since it has to take more time to shift.

There are guys upgrading from newer transmissions back to the 4R100.

And after buying another one, plus all the custom parts, (adapter, transfer case, driveshaft, etc) aftermarket tuner.... it's gonna cost you a lot more.

I don't think the allison is that great, anyway. I have a buddy with a 09 chebby and it's had the tranny rebuilt twice in under 50k miles.

~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, PHP Phoenix-(STK-80dd-100P-120R-65T-40T) 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, Fisher 8' MM2. Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203*TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing...~AE w/Ford Pack~
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

How much money have you budgeted to do this? With the computer problems you'll run into I would bet that it would cost less money to give your current truck away free and buy a brand new loaded 2012.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So your saving it will cost 50,000 to put a 6sp in my truck? As far as it slowing my truck down, dont think so im not looking for 1/4 mile times. Im looking for better towing and fuel mileage. Im just asking to see if anyone has up graded there trucks to 6 speed transmission and whats a good transmission to use.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Yes, I can see it costing that much. Here's why.

First, none of the six speed transmissions were built with a bolt pattern that will bolt to a 7.3L. You'll need custom adapters to make it fit. You'll also need to modify the trans crossmember and one or two driveshafts. That's the easy and cheap part. All of that shouldn't cost more than a grand or three.

Next, you'll need a wiring harness. You can probably get a stock one and modify it to work. Ever price a harness? With modifications to make it fit your truck, plan on another grand.

Now comes the fun part - what to do about a computer to run it? The stoock computer needs data from the engine computer to control the trans. The engine computer running your 7.3L doesn't have those outputs, nor the software that calculates what the transmission computer needs to see. The engine computer from the newer engines won't run a 7.3L, so you'll need to invent a computer to run the engine and one to run the transmission. Also, you'll need to create and program the software to control both. As far as I know nobody successfully made an aftermarket controller that could run the 5 speed TorqShift, and if they couldn't do that they sure can't make one that can run a 6 speed.

Creating the computers and software should easily eat up more than $50,000.

And that's why if you do this you will be the first person to do it.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Custom Trailer Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Yes, I can see it costing that much. Here's why.

First, none of the six speed transmissions were built with a bolt pattern that will bolt to a 7.3L. You'll need custom adapters to make it fit. You'll also need to modify the trans crossmember and one or two driveshafts. That's the easy and cheap part. All of that shouldn't cost more than a grand or three.

Next, you'll need a wiring harness. You can probably get a stock one and modify it to work. Ever price a harness? With modifications to make it fit your truck, plan on another grand.

Now comes the fun part - what to do about a computer to run it? The stoock computer needs data from the engine computer to control the trans. The engine computer running your 7.3L doesn't have those outputs, nor the software that calculates what the transmission computer needs to see. The engine computer from the newer engines won't run a 7.3L, so you'll need to invent a computer to run the engine and one to run the transmission. Also, you'll need to create and program the software to control both. As far as I know nobody successfully made an aftermarket controller that could run the 5 speed TorqShift, and if they couldn't do that they sure can't make one that can run a 6 speed.

Creating the computers and software should easily eat up more than $50,000.

And that's why if you do this you will be the first person to do it.
PCS http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...nscontrol.php#

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

It doesn't say it will run a six speed auto. Good luck making it control this transmission.

On the other hand, go ahead and build one. Show that I'm wrong.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode