e4od problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

e4od problem

So heres the deal. I bought a 97 F250 PSD that when I test drove had no problems. On the way home with the truck the OD light started flashing and began to shift hard, but I never felt any slipping and it drove another hour home with no problems.

After going through and doing some research I found that if the sensors get wet or dirty this might throw the 1728 code I have. I inspected and cleaned all the connections that go to the tranny and the one on the right side was very dirty.

For the first few miles of test drive no problems then I pulled away from a stop sign and no first gear... pulled over and started again no first gear, then I pulled the shifter down and it went into 1st and drove home fine, but when I stop I have to manually put it in 1st.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: e4od problem

Ok the OD light had flashed so there is a code, get a scanner like AE or one from snap on and find the exact code to fix it right.

02 f250
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I took it to a friends shop with a snap on scanner and it had P0470, P0476, P0478, and P1728. Fixed the 0470's and the od light started flashing again and thats when I cleaned the sensors. That was tonight

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

BTW no od light flashing now
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 AM
<--BAGHDAD

snap ring on OD came off most likely. by clearing the code the light will go off for awhile then will come back. i aint 100% on this diagnoses, just speaking from exsperience cause mine did that and sounds exactly the same.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

where is the snap ring on the OD and how do I fix it??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 AM
<--BAGHDAD

if the tranny aint tore up then u just have it pulled apart and have a ugraded steel snap ring installed, if its trashed then you'll have to have it rebuilt and most likely from what your saying its gonna have to be rebuilt if thats the case
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ok the shifting back into first gear was fixed. The connection between the harness and the shift solenoid was broken. Now just have to get the system flushed and put the new cooler in. Also, what do yall think about TC build by local trans shops.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 PM
<--BAGHDAD

i was just getting ready to tell you about that bracket. mine broke and did the same thing. when you put the shifter in D, it was in first or second and park was reverse so it wouldnt start back up unless i got under the truck and slid the connector back. glad ya got the problem fixed. i'd buy a TC from a trusted builder. remember on E40D'S if you aint got a good TC, ur gonna be hurtin later.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I know this is an old thread and havent updated lately, so here it is. I changed the fluid to synthetic and filter. The fluid was nasty. No od light since the new fluid and filter. But there is a slight hesitation/slip on the 2-3 shift (only under hard acceleration or towing).

Would a new T/C and or valve body fix this or am I on borrowed time and need a rebuild?

Thanks again.

2001 F250 CCLB, PHP Hydra, 6637, MBRP 4" exhaust and rear air bags

97' F250 ECLB, 7.3, Baby Swamps, Hydra w/swamps tunes, 6637, 3"dp 4" straight, Dana 60, 2.25 PMF RSK, Built Trans & Cooler, DIY efuel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode