Torque converter slips when engaging and engages slowly - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Torque converter slips when engaging and engages slowly

A couple months ago I installed new solenoids and a new wiring harness on my trucks transmission. The truck is a 1997 f350 powerstroke 4x4 with an E4od and I put new solenoids in due to the truck shifting hard. It fixed the problem and shifted great and still does. Today I noticed when it engaged the torque converter lock up clutch it engaged very slowly and would slip if I gave the truck throttle, the rpms would go up but the truck wouldn't be going any faster. If I let off the throttle completely for a second and got back on it, it would be fully engaged and not slip anymore. Usually the converter locks very quickly and strong but now it just feels slow and weak. I checked the fluid and it is nice and red and at the correct level. I wasn't towing or hauling anything when this happened and the most I ever haul is 1500 lbs of scrap metal, I rarely tow anything. I just don't want to keep driving the truck like this and burn the converter clutch out. Thanks.

1997 F-350 4x4 4:10's. Mods-Rosewood Stage 2's (160/80's), Markfuga E-fuel and 6.0 pump, 96' engine with 137,000 miles, TS 6 pos, 3 inch DP, 4 inch side exit, ZF5-S42 and South Bend Con-OFE, K&N filter and DIY intake, 33/12.5-16.5's BFG A/T's on Outlaw II's. 250,000 miles and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 PM
PSN Local

Re: Torque converter slips when engaging and engages slowly

I recently had a similar issue with my 4r100. occasionally i would get slippage, but would engage when I let off the throttle (happened twice) I flushed the fluid and it hasnt done it since. Im not sure if its truley fixed, but it definatly helped. might be worth a try.

2000 F350 7.3- HPX, ATS Housing, WW, K&N Intake, DP, MBRB 4" exahust, Dieselsite Boots, 203 thermostat, guages, Skyjacker 4 inch lift, Warn Hubs.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Torque converter slips when engaging and engages slowly

Maybe there was just some dirt in the valve body or something. I drove it today and it locked up perfectly so it was most likely dirt. The fluid and filter have less than 3000 miles on them because I changed them when I did the valve body so I don't think that's the problem but we'll see how it shifts in the future.

1997 F-350 4x4 4:10's. Mods-Rosewood Stage 2's (160/80's), Markfuga E-fuel and 6.0 pump, 96' engine with 137,000 miles, TS 6 pos, 3 inch DP, 4 inch side exit, ZF5-S42 and South Bend Con-OFE, K&N filter and DIY intake, 33/12.5-16.5's BFG A/T's on Outlaw II's. 250,000 miles and counting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode