ATS transmission install questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

Send a message via Yahoo to solareclpse2000
ATS transmission install questions

hey guys got a few questions. my trans finally bought the big one and im upgrading with an ATS trans. im changing the cooler, all hose, and adding new sensors and remote filter, along with PACT triple disk converter, and derale deep pan.

background; i got stuck real bad in some serious mud and ended up with complete fluid contamination and valve body clogging from the friction disk material disintegrating. it was real bad. fluid was black as old oil, wouldnt shift out of 2nd gear. you could clearly see chunks of clutch material in a small cup full of the fluid. as yall imagine, that was the last breath of the trans.

so im changing all the hose and cooler. im using AN -08 ( 1/2 in I.D ) hose which is the max size i want to go. the problem i have is finding all the fittings for the cooling hose. does anyone know the NPT sizes to replace the "hot" and return lines on the trans? and also the sizes for the fittings on the radiator? or even anywhere i can find this out for sure?
also even at 1/2in I.D. hose do yall think thats too big?

2002 F250 crew cab, short bed, 7.3, 4x4, auto,8.5 procomp lift/37 in. tires.
needs new badges and paint,
it's a 7.3 PSD.what more can i say? does anyone have any extra parts they need to get rid of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: ATS transmission install questions

The only part of this that I can answer is that no, 1/2" line is not too big. It's better than stock.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

ďThe good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 PM
PSN Veteran

I think you'll find that the case threads on your 4R100 are not NPT, they're NPS with washers to seal the bypass valve. My book says the rear fitting is 3/8-18 NPS. Doesn't say what the front fitting is. I'm sure they're different. The rear is larger since it has the anti-drainback check valve in it. Stephen

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 AM
PSN Veteran

Not that you asked for an opinion, but if I were you I would skip the Derale deep pan. That is a useless object if you go in the mud. Increase your volume with a bigger cooler if you want more capacity. The stock 4x4 pan is fine. You're going to need a new OTA cooler based on your decription of the crime scene anyway. Just sayin'.

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

ok, the derale pan has coolinf rails in it. i do also have a much bigger upgraded cooler as well. not th stock ford one. and i remeber the fittings on the trans were odd ones. not sure where i could fine nps though.

it's a 7.3 PSD.what more can i say? does anyone have any extra parts they need to get rid of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

hey bracketracer got a few questions. i have been doin some researching on NPS fittings. are these the same as NPSM? i can see the npt-nps difference. the taper clearly can crack the fitting. now what about ORB fittings? they are straight thread, with o ring. just like the HPOP line fittings. i only know this cuz i had a hydraulic shop make a custom HPOP oil pressure tester for the HPOP/head oil rail. would a 3/8 ORB fitting work? also i noticed you said the NPS has a washer....... but mine doesnt. its just a flared fitting no washer. also if you are confident that the rear is a 3/8 im pretty confident that will make the front a 1/4. however is the front NPS as well? one could only assume. but u know what they say about assuming stuff. any advice?

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

i have also been informed by my dad inspecting the trans that just came in. apparently ATS ships their trans out with a bypass tube eliminator kit installed. so looks like no more banjo fitting bypass tube for me. i always have felt it was just a bad engineering plan by ford. so i guess my best bet may be to get ahold of ats and see what fittings size they use to replace the old fittings. ugh who knew such small fittings could be so frustrating.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 PM
PSN Local

#8 AN line is not 1/2" inside, more like 3/8"

2000 f-450 suprhlr LA West conversion
04.5 fummins CR, twins by Engineered Diesel,
Hamilton cams, Exergy 40% injectors, 48RE suncoast/ Goerend converter PCS controller, airdog 2, smarty, 4.10 gears, 39k miles
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

so for hose barb fittings should i order 3/8 fittings n hose clamp them down tight? or should i go with the 1/2 fittings and force them tightly over? which way would yall recommend?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Solareclpse

ok guys i got about a week at the max untill i have to order these fittings so they will be home when i get there. my hopes are to have all the parts there and ready for the trans swap. i got 30 days of leave but have to move me and the family from GA to TX. so i have very little time to do this swap and trying to make sure all the parts are ready to go in when im home.

so all i got left to order are 4 fittings. 2 for the radiator trans cooler which i think will both be 3/8 NPT hose barb fittings. and the 2 for the trans cooler line ports. which i have been told are NPS and the rear is 3/8 but no idea on the front fitting.

also bracketracer from what i have looked up are you sure the NPS fittings are the external fittings on top of the bypass tube? i have found a few people who have told me the NPS fittings are the ones directly on the case not the ones on top th bypass tube that go into the base port. ill see if i can post a pic to maybe explain myself better

and finally all this time i jus recently discovered that ATS actually ships all their trans with a bypass tube eliminator kit. so i dont have the bypass tube on it. jus the spacers to block the banjo fitting passages. this is driving me nuts guys

so i need confirmation on fitting type, and size. and recomendation for what hose barb size to use, 3/8 or 1/2? all hose im using is AN -08 thanks in advance guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode