trans temp stays under 140 degrees? ?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

trans temp stays under 140 degrees? ??

I've had an autometer transmission temperature gauge installed for several months now. It never goes above the 140 degree range. This doesn't seem right. The sensor is in the port right above the pan on drivers side. Thoughts? I checked fluid level is good.

'97 PSD CC SRW 4x4
TS 6 position w/ Swamps tuning, DIY intake, 4" offroad exhaust, Swamps IDM, 1.0 turbo with EBPV delete, Autometer gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 PM
PSN Local

Re: trans temp stays under 140 degrees? ??

If the trans isn't hooked up through a cooler in the radiator and has a big external cooler that's pretty normal
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

It has the stock trans cooler in front of the radiator

'97 PSD CC SRW 4x4
TS 6 position w/ Swamps tuning, DIY intake, 4" offroad exhaust, Swamps IDM, 1.0 turbo with EBPV delete, Autometer gauges

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

In the winter that's very normal whether or not it has a cooler in the radiator. The cooler in the radiator WILL NOT warm the trans fluid.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 PM
PSN Local

Yes actually the cooler in the radiator will warm the fluid as well as cool it that is why if u watch trans temp in a scan tool trans and ect.are. relative to each other..it is a heat sync just like the engine oil coolers.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
<----Nice headlights!!!

I have some input. That location or the autometer system is inaccurate. I can drive for an hour and my atf will stay under 140. After that it will creep up to 160°. I was driving along thinking my trans was chill since the autometer gauge was around 125°. I started a thread about this on psa and it went ignored for the most part. I drove my truck this past weekend for four hours and the trans temp gauge saw 140ish once. The problem is my cts(which uses pcm information) is reporting it to be a hair under 200 at this point. It stayed there for about ten minutes and then went back down to 160 when the hills and my right foot waned. My autometer gauge NEVER fluctuated that whole time. Maybe five degrees if any.

Do what you will with the information. It only affects autometer users. I have verified all this with an ir heat gun and a kitchen style thermometer. Autometers probe simply doesnt reacf quickly. Isspro uses a quick reacting probe/coil and its users report similar readings with a scan type device and an analog gauge. I just dontike having a worthless gauge to look at. Im pretty much done with these old school gauges.

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by range91 View Post
Yes actually the cooler in the radiator will warm the fluid as well as cool it that is why if u watch trans temp in a scan tool trans and ect.are. relative to each other..it is a heat sync just like the engine oil coolers.
Actually, no it won't. The radiator cooler is a cooler only, it is not a heater.

I was an automatic transmission engineer at Ford. Part of my job was transmission cooling. I measured temperatures during testing to prove that the radiator cooler never warmed the ATF.

I measured this in tests from +115F to -40F. I measured the engine coolant in the radiator around the trans cooler, coolant in and out of the radiator, ATF in and out of the radiator cooler, and in and out of the air to oil cooler, plus about 50 other points around the transmission. I had a very good measurement of everything going on with the ATF temperatures.

The radiator cooler is on the side of the radiator where the coolant has already been cooled. In cold ambients the coolant would stay near ambient temperature, even when the engine was fully warmed up. The coolant entering the radiator would be near 200F, but if it were -40 outide by the time the coolant got to the transmission cooler it would be -30F or cooler. How is that going to warm the ATF?

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by range91 View Post

Keep in mind that the CTS the scan tool is using is reading coolant temp right near the t-stat at what is most likely the warmest part of the cooling system. That would not tell you the temp of the coolant after it has passed through the radiator where the trans cooler lives.

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:22 AM
PSN Local

Sounds plausible but why are trans and ect temps so close to each other with vehicles that have cooler in radiator? I know the 5r110 has a thermostatic valve to stop cooler flow to warm trans up faster but most transmission have know temp regulating system.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

They were not close in my tests. I don't know what is being read in what you're seeing.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode