3rd gear slip - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

3rd gear slip

all mods are posted in my sig
i get slip in 3rd gear at part throttle only under full throttle its perfect nice and firm and quick shifting and only happens when i have a tune in the truck. i have the wastegate line unhooked it spikes up to about 24-28psi when it starts going into 3rd gear then begins to slip i usually back out asap and it grabs then its fine.
i spoke with eric at innovative about it and he adjusted my tunes and its still doing the same thing
my trans is about 2 mos old red clutches, kolene steels, billet shafts input,intermediate,output all billet , c6 drum. bully dog shift kit convertor lube mod was done also
if i tune it to stock its fine shifts firm and runs very cool (100-120)
when in a tune it slips and runs about 150 and slowly climbs

02 ecsb afe stg2, wicked wheel, afe bladerunner intake, 4in turbo back mbrp, bully dog shift improver, DI fpr, innovative tunes, stock injectors and turbo (for now)
smoked cab lights, led tails smoked 3rd brake, smoked halo fogs, smoke headlights w led turns 285/75/16 goodyear mt-r`s

heavy metal performance rockdale ill 815-725-8044
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: 3rd gear slip

i recconected the wastegate line and it seemed to take care of the issue mostly but why only in a tune would it do this i just dont get it

02 ecsb afe stg2, wicked wheel, afe bladerunner intake, 4in turbo back mbrp, bully dog shift improver, DI fpr, innovative tunes, stock injectors and turbo (for now)
smoked cab lights, led tails smoked 3rd brake, smoked halo fogs, smoke headlights w led turns 285/75/16 goodyear mt-r`s

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Because with the tune the engine is making more power and the trans doesn't have enough extra pressure to hold the clutch in third gear. It makes perfect sense to me.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

so i would need to get a valvebody ? since my wot shifting is fine its only a part throttle problem i have

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I don't think a valve body will help. I suspect the problem is in the tune. I don't think it has enough pressure for the transmission. The transmission pressures are set by the software, not the valve body.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM
PSN Local

Put a gauge on it instead of guessing..should have around 100ish in d at idle and 225 at wot this will let u know if its a tune or trans issue...red clutches suck by the way for long term use custom pressure plates with factory clutches hold up much better my own experience behind a 525hp 7.3l.. what shift kit does trans have?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

A gauge isn't going to tell you if there isn't enough pressure when it's slipping. You can tell if the pressures are correct at idle and at WOT, but what does that tell you about what the programming is setting while going down the road?

Mark

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 PM
PSN Local

You have to road test it with the gauge hooked up this will tell you if u have propper pressure for the clutch to hold.if pressure is 125 psi at wot either a leak in a clutch circuit or a messed up tune. I have diagnosed thousands of transmissions and the only way to properly diagnose a slipping trans is to gauge it..our shop is part of trans gos tech program and when we have a problem child we contact them for technical info the first thing they ask is did u gauge it and what the pressures are if u say no u wasted your time they wont even talk to you because that is such vital info in diagnosing automatic transmissions
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 AM
PSN Local

I would bet its your tunes. I had a similar problem, and after countless hours messing with the trans, I switched tuners and problem solved.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

What is the correct pressure with a tune when the trans slips in third gear? He needs to know what to look for.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode