Zf5-42 reverse trouble - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Zf5-42 reverse trouble

I am havin some reverse problems as in I have no reverse unless I can back down a hill! I can not hold it in or anything it just pops out.

The transmission is sitting on the floor now and I am goin to tear into it soon! What should I look for when I do open it up, anything real easy to look for or just look for any breakage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 05:04 PM
STILL LEARNING

Re: Zf5-42 reverse trouble

Popping out of gear is a sign of worn bearings

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Alright guys well brad! Took the transmission apart and found nothing! Gears look perfect, bearings look new. You can't even tell the gears were grinding.

Now when we used the shift forks to try and shift into reverse we couldn't, though later on when we put the case back together and the shifter on it shifted good. So I have no clue on what to do now.

I was just going to take it some place since my brother in law, friend and I have no clue what we are looking at.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Quitter

i can take a look at it for you if you want. wouldnt say i know them inside out but ive had mine apart a time or 2. you sure you dont have a pedal linkage issue? where does your clutch start grabing acording to how far the pedal is off the floor? if you gotta have the clutch just about smashed through the floor to keep it from engaging, then i gaurentee theres nothing wrong with the trans and the little plastic bushing in the petal linkage is garbage. my buddys truck is a pita to get in reverse because of the linkage. deffintly worth looking into. just let me know if you want me to check it out for you bud

Jon

96 Fummins 2.6 puller

'10 f250 ccsb 6.4. Sold

'15 f350 6.7 dually on order!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

It doesn't matter where the clutch it it doesn't engage either way. If I am going downhill it will pop in gear but a lot it will pop right back out. It never has truly backed up without popping out of gear.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Riley

Send a message via Yahoo to diesel8206

Sounds like blocking rings and synchros to me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Quitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesellaxer View Post
It doesn't matter where the clutch it it doesn't engage either way. If I am going downhill it will pop in gear but a lot it will pop right back out. It never has truly backed up without popping out of gear.
sorry, didnt see the popping out of gear part for some reason... wouldnt cause it to jump outta gear but definitly not let you put it in gear. still worth checkin the plastic bushing when you get it back together. notorious on OBS"s.

but yeah check ALL the bearings out. i got a real good trans guy down on rt 40 that does work for me cheap, and has a bunch of used zf parts if you end up takin some where. by far the best manual trans guy around

Jon

96 Fummins 2.6 puller

'10 f250 ccsb 6.4. Sold

'15 f350 6.7 dually on order!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I read someplace the guy had the same #### happen to him opened up the tranny found nothing and the problem was in the transfer case. So I'm gonna just go ahead and open that up and look there first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode