Used Transmission Coolers? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Used Transmission Coolers?

At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, I am asking this question. Why do people recommend not using used transmission coolers. I am looking for some cooling options for the transmission in my 00' 7.3 truck. I know everyone says to use the 6.0 cooler and I would love to do that, but I don't want to spend $300 on a new one. I have found some reasonably priced used ones but is there no way of flushing them out to get the possible contaminates out? Just can't figure out why the coolers can't be flushed?

Also, some say you can't hook up an additional cooler to the factory setup because it will cause to much restriction in the lines. What size are the factory 7.3 lines? IIRC the lines are 3/8", if that is the case why couldn't I just use a cooler with a 1/2" inlet and outlet? Would that still cause too much restriction?

So my questions are;

Can you clean a used cooler and clean it well?

Can you safely add a cooler to the factory system without causing to much restriction?

Before you ask, yes I am a cheap bastard and yes I want my cake and eat it too. Just looking for some budget options on keeping my tranny cool. Thanks for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Diesel Sled Head

Re: Used Transmission Coolers?

I would make sure if you get a used cooler that there was no metal contamination in the system from trans failure. If its from a good running truck with no issues(crased or otherwise) no problem. I installed a good clean used one in my 01 with no issues.

2001 f250 H2E,BTS,Stealth,reg return,mod IDM, spearco,DI Ceramic Headers.. bcode stage 3's Cale's Tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 PM
PSN Veteran

I see no problem as to why a good radiator shop couldn't boil it out for you or something like that.

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the reponses, keep them coming guys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 PM
PSN Veteran

I don't recommend it because you haven't a clue about the cooler. Now if I were to get an F350 and decide to transplant my cooler, sure. I know the history. If you get it from me, all you have is my good word. Was it hit and say the plastic part cracked? What was the reason that trans cooler is for sale? Because Ford made the dealership install a new one as opposed to flushing it and now he has a "slightly used" cooler for sale?

Sure, you can flush and backflush it but the question is whether you are willing to take the risk on your trans or not. How much risk to your expensive trans are you willing to take? Are you sure there are no structural issues? You sure you got everything out of it that is there and there isn't a goober waiting to bite you afterwards? Too many uncertainties which is why I would buy a new one.

I'm cheap myself that is why I like to do it once and do it right. Because almost everytime I took the cheap way, it came back to bite me. A prime example is I skimped on my heads and saved a few hundred bucks. Big Time win. A couple years later, my (96 priced $5000) short block had a piston kiss a valve. So, what did I profit from that?

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 AM
PSN Local

i sprayed the heck out of my extra cooler with brake cleaner and blowed it out with compressed air and installed a little in line filter after it so far no probs.

1996 F-250,Ext.cab,LB,4x4
stock tires

180K,6 pos chip,Open air filter, 3'' down pipe,fpr mod,ccv mod
4.10s gears!
Boost, Pryo and transmission gauges
sonnax shift improver kit
bronco tank mod
hayden cooler for transmission

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:36 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendricksbus View Post
i sprayed the heck out of my extra cooler with brake cleaner and blowed it out with compressed air and installed a little in line filter after it so far no probs.
You can to that to mine or not, it will be fine. Once there is debris in it, I would always be wondering if I did get it all or not. I have a BTS and based on his reputation, I won't worry if I did get it all out since he will fix it even though it has been longer than 2 years and the warranty is expired. If you don't have that kind of warranty, the question is whether you are willing to chance that you have cleared everything or not.

Question is, what is your peace of mind worth, assuming you don't have a "forever warranty". More often than not, in my case, when I cheap out, it comes back to bite me in the ass with a vengeance. YMMV

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode