Transmission poll. Automated manual, 6R140 or Allison ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
me2
PSN Veteran

Transmission poll. Automated manual, 6R140 or Allison ?

If you had the choice between

an automated manual 6 speed (it shifts itself or you can shift it)

OR

a 6R140

what would you take ?

If you had the choice between a 6R140 and a 6 speed Allison with some built parts in it, what would you take ?

Thanks

New truck.
08 F350 King Ranch
Long box CC 4x4
6.4 5R110
Soon to get a Cummins 6.7 transplant.

Old truck.
Red '99 2WD F250 CC SWB
3rd gen 325/610 Cummins, ZF6
Custom air ride suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Big Plans

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
Re: Transmission poll. Automated manual, 6R140 or Allison ?

Allison, just because you know what they can hold...6r hasnt been proven yet

08 ECSB 6.4
MPD, GOGO, No Limit, Rudys, ARP, PMF, Innovative, AFE, Recon, Fuel, Nitto, Bilstein

Fueled by...Fuel, lots of it
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 AM
PSN Local

I thought I would share what knowledge I have on the subject. Ive always had ford trucks until the dodge I currently have (07.5 with 6.7 cummins and 68rfe). The automatic has been out of my truck four times. The last time it was put in the engine was turned back to stock. It is living but still not happy. I think a big part of the problem was the local shop that put it together didn't have any business working on it. I would like to at least have a little fun with the truck and actually hook a trailer to the truck and see what it will do. So i started looking at other other options. There are now better rebuild options for the 68rfe. Suncoast has their comp68. But your looking at a 8-10k price tag. Ats has good options and some swear by their co-pilot. I've already wasted around 6k on my 68rfe and not going to spend another dime. I considered 4r100 (i liked the e4od in my 97 ford). The Allison 1000. I bought a freightliner van and have a low milage 5spd Allison trans. But its still an auto trans. Unless things have changed the destroked standalone will only work with the 5spd version. So if you want a 6spd Allison you have to get the needed parts from Suncoast to convert it to a six spd for $1800. The 6spd uses a different computer and I think a different language. The 5spd has a 6th gear but isn't programmed to engage the needed clutches to enable it. The new 6spd ford trans sounds like it could be a real contender. But are upgraded parts available and how are you going to get the trans to shift right. From what I understand when they put an Allison behind a cummins it doesn't defuel. I don't think you would need to with the ford trans either. I'm pretty sure the ford trans is an sae2 pattern. There are some funky things with that but i'm typing this on my phone and my thumbs are hurting. If you have some questions ask and I'll try to answer if I can. Oh and just an fyi I choose the zf6 transmission for my dodge.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
me2
PSN Veteran

I bought a 6R140 for my swap.

I think its the strongest stock auto transmission out there.

I don't think a stock Allison is that strong. I also don't like the Allison gear ratios for towing. 0.71 is too fast and 1.00 is too slow.

The 6R140 has 1.15, 0.86 and 0.67 for 4th, 5th and 6th gears.

I didn't go with the ZF6 because of concerns about DD clutches.

New truck.
08 F350 King Ranch
Long box CC 4x4
6.4 5R110
Soon to get a Cummins 6.7 transplant.

Old truck.
Red '99 2WD F250 CC SWB
3rd gen 325/610 Cummins, ZF6
Custom air ride suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode