7.3 trans cooler bypass. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

7.3 trans cooler bypass.

I plow/tow a trailer with my truck. 99 F250 SD. Its on its third tranny. I want this one to last. So far I put a Temp gauge in the pan and a big 6.0 cooler up front. It was still running over 200, so I mounted a 16inch diameter pusher fan infront of the AC condenser (wont fit between Ac condenser and trans cooler). I hooked it up to a toggle switch so I can just let it run, I have yet to plow with the setup, but temps were climbing when towing my 24 ft enclosed landscape trailer.

I bought the trans cooler bypass kit from BD. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have any idea how to install them? I know the trans line is the one on the passenger side. The front one I get, just put the spacer over the little bypass valve and reinstall, but the back line people say has a ball inside of it, does the spacer fit tight against it to keep it open? I hear the kits do not come with any instructions, so Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM
riverjet

Re: 7.3 trans cooler bypass.

Pull the bypass off....spacers take up the space where the bypass was.You will see...it is self explanitory.I took my bypass off...but it might be better to just replace it.Without the bypass,if there is cooler or line restriction you will have trans failer quickly.John Wood takes them off.BTS says leave the bypass on.

2001 f250 xlt reg cab 4x4,7.3 stock injectors,water/meth,ITP rr,walbro,5/8 pu,BD/MANN ccv,DP F5,OILGUARD,stock turbo,WW,ATS,1.0 exh.housing,high flow outlet,MBRP4",Billet 3-disk,built trans,Billsteins,11 ISSPRO PERFORMAX gauges,Scan gauge,08 rear cover,350 blocks,x-springs,AFE stg2/pg7,P265/75r16 NITTO Terragrapplers.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 7.3 trans cooler bypass.

I have heard of the mixed reviews. I might just try replacing the bypass valve, and see how it works. I guess it is there for a reason. I was going to have my trans system flushed by ford, and then do the blockoff. Just to make sure everything is clean. I guess its just a last resort for the trans when something gets blocked off. I just dont want to melt my trans again. Truck is paid off, but 3K for a trans isnt fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode