thoughts on cooling - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Bill

Lightbulb thoughts on cooling

Im just thinking aloud but I want to hear your thoughts on weather this is cost effective or just plane old over kill.
I have been reading post on guy's worried about high transmission temps and their attempt to fix them. I have seen larger oil pans and upgrades to the 6.0 oil cooler. all in all they seem to do very well. but do they do as good as the could possibly do?

My idea is to add a 6.0 oil cooler to the frame close to the transmission and use it with the stock one still installed. It seems like a lot of cooling but this is where it gets more expensive. I priced a set of 12vdc valves with a 1/4 inlet/outlet, about $45 a piece. With three of them and 2 tees and a thremacouple you would be able to use the second cooler or bypass it. I thought on the return line, close to the transmision, I would install the first tee. on the two outlet sides of this would be a valve. THe one going to the transmission would be a normaly open valve in case of failure. The other valve going to the secondary cooler. this valve would be normaly close incase of failure to send fluid directly to the transmission. On the outlet side of the cooler I thought of installing a third valve just to ensure that when the secondary cooler was actuated it would keep the cooler from empting itself into the pan. also a normail closed valve. Im not sure if this is a need to keep the air out or not? but the second tee would have to go between the transmission and the first normaly closed valve for return and proper flow. all of this would be actuated by a thermacouple. this would open the valves or close the valves to the appropriate position to bypass or use the secondary cooler. as well as engage or disengage a small electric fan on the secondary cooler. I also thought of installing a bypass switch so that you could manuel add the second cooler when you want. as well as a LED some where near the transmission temp gauge to let you know that both coolers are being used.

now with all that said I wanted to do this so that in cold climates the transmission would not stay cold on the highway. and in warm climates, like hear in the middile of arizona, it would add a lot of extra cooling.
I just would like to hear some of your thoughts on this if its extreme over kill or just to much cost to for what you gain. To me this is simple compared to the jets I work on, so the building and wiring is not a problem. all together I think this would cost around 400.

02 f350 larit, itp rr & pre pump filter, GTP38r, international up pipes, swamps 175/146 single shot's, DP tuner, factory tech valve body & lot of extra lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Re: thoughts on cooling

I have never had an issue with my two coolers and being too cold...

BD makes a fan controled cooler, this would be ideal for what you are talking about because where you are talking about mounting it, there is little airflow for cooling. But if it got hot, then the fan turns on and wala...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

sounds like a great idea, but couldnt you just get away with adding a 6.o cooler along with the factory cooler and put some fans on it? i was thinking about just adding fans to my stock cooler. do you think it would make a difference?

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM
PSN Veteran

shucks CSIPSD mut have posted at the same time as me. where did you get your kit from?

PMRCM#1
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Race car driva.......

you guys are making it too hard, I would not go stacking a bunch of coolers on it and thus creating restriction.

One 31 row 5r110 cooler stand alone and the factory 4r100 bypass will be sufficient.

No fancy pans.

If you still have temp issues something's wrong, and I dont mean anything thats over 150, it needs some heat to work properly.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 02:53 PM
PSN Veteran

ok this being said, whats the optimum temp to run at?

PMRCM#1
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

I dont have anything other then the factory cooler and a Big aftermarket one... 130-170 is about the best temps...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Bill

THis is what I thought But I know that in sub zero climates it takes a long time to warm up. So how does the 5r110 cooler with the factory unit do at -20? Does it actuly cool to much? when I lived in alaska two coolers would be way too much, imho. but now that I have my bags packed hear in phoeniex Two sounds right. this is why I have thought of building this system. I dont believe with the valves any extra restriction would be added. espeacily since you could lock out the second cooler. I am sorry I just mentioned the pan because I know they are out their. I wouldn't realy buy one. but would build this.

02 f350 larit, itp rr & pre pump filter, GTP38r, international up pipes, swamps 175/146 single shot's, DP tuner, factory tech valve body & lot of extra lights
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Braaaaaaaaaaaap

Before my stock TC took a crap... I never broke 180*. Not driving in town, or towing in the mountains or in 110*+ weather and basically driving like a dick head. That's with the mods in my sig and towing in the mountains with my cabover and rock crawler in tow.

'00 F350 CC LB 4wd 7.3L with stuff, haulin' a 40' trailer with toys
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badford350 View Post
THis is what I thought But I know that in sub zero climates it takes a long time to warm up. So how does the 5r110 cooler with the factory unit do at -20? Does it actuly cool to much? when I lived in alaska two coolers would be way too much, imho. but now that I have my bags packed hear in phoeniex Two sounds right. this is why I have thought of building this system. I dont believe with the valves any extra restriction would be added. espeacily since you could lock out the second cooler. I am sorry I just mentioned the pan because I know they are out their. I wouldn't realy buy one. but would build this.

Your tranny has a bypass for just that reason... if its too cold it bypasses the cooler and goes right back in... Never had an issue with too cold or too hot... Dont make it hard... just add a second cooler.

Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode