4R100 Transmission fluid analysis - 2000 Excursion - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

4R100 Transmission fluid analysis - 2000 Excursion

Well, thought I would share this and see how this situation will play out. I purchased a 2000 Excursion about a month ago with 191K miles. When I bought it, I fully accepted the fact that the tranny (4R100) could easily need some attention and a few pay checks. The analysis shows high Copper and High Iron, severe actually. In addition the oxidation level was high which could be from high miles on the oil. The tranny was pulled out on Thursday and I should know early this week what the teardown inspection results are.

The fluid is marked as unknown, all I know was that it was brown and smelt burnt. The miles on the fluid is also unknown.

Why did I post this? To see how the fluid analysis compares to the physical condition of the tranny.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Exploding the magma

Re: 4R100 Transmission fluid analysis - 2000 Excursion

This should be very interesting to see...thanks!

2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 7.3 4R100
6637 203* t-stat 08 diff cover Stancor HPX 6.0 trans cooler, Zone offroad leveling kit, Western UM 8'6" plow

Sold: 2004.5 Ram 2500 w/ 5.9 CTD, Reg Cab 48re
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM
6.0h sh*t!

Were you having a problem with the trans or were you assuming you might have a problem down the road and are being proactive?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

Trying to be proactive and make sure that the Excursion is reliable for long trips and 400 hp. Only negative seat of the pants feeling was the long mushy shift into OD. Need to be able to make long road trips into western South Dakota. Once you pass the Mitchel, SD heading west it's a good 3-4 hours of open road.

Jerry from J&M transmissions showed me the disassembled tranny today.

Center support bearing needs to be replaced.
the thrust washers and clutches were all worn and needed to be replaced.
He showed me how some of the parts had worn down to the copper and this is what the oil analysis showed.
The pump still looked good.
The fluid was run too long as shown by the high oxidation numbers.

Overall he thought the tranny held up pretty good for 191K miles and most of the parts that needed to be replaced was from wear and tear. But we caught the center support bearing before it caused and damage.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Freedom is not free

When I first was shown the worn parts I kind of understood (or at least tried to) what the parts were and how the high copper and iron were reflected in the UOA report. What brought more clarity was comparing them to the new parts. I should have brought my camera to take some comparison pics.

The one part thas was closest to failure was the center support bearing. Ironically this is the same part that went out in my F-250's tranny last year. In addition, the fluid oxidation, color and smell showed that the fluid has been in there a long time......

Here is the UOA report from that tranny last year. When we dropped the tranny pan there was some good pieces/chuncks of metal in the pan from this bearing.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Exploding the magma

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Buffalo View Post
Need to be able to make long road trips into western South Dakota. Once you pass the Mitchel, SD heading west it's a good 3-4 hours of open road.
Yeah once you get past the Corn Palace there is not much out there...

2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 7.3 4R100
6637 203* t-stat 08 diff cover Stancor HPX 6.0 trans cooler, Zone offroad leveling kit, Western UM 8'6" plow

Sold: 2004.5 Ram 2500 w/ 5.9 CTD, Reg Cab 48re

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode