Am I hurting anything? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Am I hurting anything?

My truck currently has 15,996 miles on it and ive had it since it was brand new. I change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals the first oil change I used rotella 15w40 and the second i used mobil 1 5w40 syn turbo diesel oil and I was running low on cash last month and went back to rotella? Hope im not hurting anything making that switch, also i just got a new job so here in a couple weeks ill be driving 100 miles a day easy and was thinking of switching to Royal Purple 15w40 permantly? Is their any diff between the RP and the Mobil1 Turbo? And will I be ok switching back to synthetic? Thanks

2009 F250 King Ranch CCSB
-H&S Tuner
-DPF/DOC Delete
-S&B Intake
-6" Rize
-37x13.50x20 Toyo MT
-XD Monsters
-6" Black Aussies
-Recon Lighting
-N-Fab Bars
-BD Coldside
-4" Downpipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Am I hurting anything?

And I run my truck very hard and I can get a coolant flush and tranny flush done for 150 bucks with my shop discount. Itll be nothing but good doing it with 16k miles right? Aint gonna hurt anything?

-H&S Tuner
-DPF/DOC Delete
-S&B Intake
-6" Rize
-37x13.50x20 Toyo MT
-XD Monsters
-6" Black Aussies
-Recon Lighting
-N-Fab Bars
-BD Coldside
-4" Downpipe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 PM
RtR
PSN Newb

Its generally considered taboo to switch back and forth from synthetic to non synthetic oil. My advice is to change your oil again back to the synthetic and never do that again.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RtR View Post
Its generally considered taboo to switch back and forth from synthetic to non synthetic oil. My advice is to change your oil again back to the synthetic and never do that again.
The mods will come in and edit your post if you disagree with someone........ but switching back and forth between oils is completely fine!

Obviously you want to run synthetic but this month cash was a little low. Switch back next time and youll be fine. not going to hurt a thing

Back the Blue BUILD THREAD
POWERSTROKENATION-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

So ill be completly fine?

-H&S Tuner
-DPF/DOC Delete
-S&B Intake
-6" Rize
-37x13.50x20 Toyo MT
-XD Monsters
-6" Black Aussies
-Recon Lighting
-N-Fab Bars
-BD Coldside
-4" Downpipe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Diesel junkie!!!

I have switched before and had no problem. As far as everything I have learned in college and from manufactures, these oils are compatible. Once you get to a routine you will be fine.

Jon
2012 F-350 4x4 CC/SB Tuxedo Black Metallic: ENJOYING
2001 F-350 4x4 LB/SC Red 6-speed: SOLD
2004 Jetta TDI: DAILY DRIVER
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 AM
SyN
Lubrication Addict!!

JMHO--> I would stay with M1... Depending on your fuel dilution % U might be able to go 7K mile OCI... RP has not brought back to many UOA... I know M1 is not cheap... I don't know what U will pay for the RP per gal... But M1 is a more robust oil, with a better additive package...

If U can find a Schaeffers Dealer close buy, U might be able to pick up the Series 9000 5W-40 cheaper by the Gallon then RP and M1. Then Use a UOA to decide your OCI... your main concern will be fuel dilution with your 6.4L...

Note: My honest Opinion-->If you live in a warm climate, or your 6.4L is stored in a garage overnight and not really spends alot of time out in the cold... U really won't see alot of benefit from synthetics... Now if you live in a cold climate and your truck is outside 24/7... Yes synthetics is the way to go...

2001 F250 XLT CC 4X4 AUTO SWB
{295K miles}.
Donaldson AIS Intake w/ZooDad
4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust.
DieselSite By-Pass Coolant Filter/{ELC}&RMI-25
DieselSite By-Pass Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
Delete Mods-->{Foil & AIH}
203*{T-Stat}w/Billet Housing
SS HPX line-CCV{to atmosphere}
Marinco Heater Plug
Oil-->T6 5W-40 w/Amsoil Filter

Last edited by SyN; 01-22-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: NonYasDamBusiness!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyN View Post
JMHO--> I would stay with M1... Depending on your fuel dilution % U might be able to go 7K mile OCI... RP has not brought back to many UOA... I know M1 is not cheap... I don't know what U will pay for the RP per gal... But M1 is a more robust oil, with a better additive package...

If U can find a Schaeffers Dealer close buy, U might be able to pick up the Series 9000 5W-40 cheaper by the Gallon then RP and M1. Then Use a UOA to decide your OCI... your main concern will be fuel dilution with your 6.4L...

Note: My honest Opinion-->If you live in a warm climate, or your 6.4L is stored in a garage overnight and not really spends alot of time out in the cold... U really won't see alot of benefit from synthetics... Now if you live in a cold climate and your truck is outside 24/7... Yes synthetics is the way to go...
What is considered cold in which you would want Synthetic?

Back the Blue BUILD THREAD
POWERSTROKENATION-

Facebook-
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

My trucks outside 24/7 but never gets below 5 degress

-H&S Tuner
-DPF/DOC Delete
-S&B Intake
-6" Rize
-37x13.50x20 Toyo MT
-XD Monsters
-6" Black Aussies
-Recon Lighting
-N-Fab Bars
-BD Coldside
-4" Downpipe
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 PM
SyN
Lubrication Addict!!

U will get many different Opinions on what is considered Cold! Some will say that cold does not start until U are into the minus--->-4 -15 example... I myself can tell U that my 7.3L sits outside last winter and this winter due to our 5th wheel is blocking my side of the garage, this will change next winter...

I used to use 15W-40...Have U ever left a qt or gallon of 15W-40 outside overnight with temps below 20 to 5 deg F? Then tryed to pour it out of the container? LoL! It is unreal how thick this oil gets...I really don't see how the oil pump and the injectors even get this stuff pumping up to the vital moving parts fast enough... Even plugged in 3 hrs before I leave for wk, my 7.3L would "Romp-Shake-Bounce-Smoke out the whole block" I can't imagine what it would be like @ temps below 0F... But after switching to 5W-40 that whole problem went away...It was like a totally different 7.3L-"Never another Romp" I poured in T5 10W-30 this winter and the startup time is even faster, oil pressure comes up about 2 sec faster...Which means those vital moving parts are getting oil much faster...{I like that thought}.
My 7.3L is always plugged in when the temps are going to drop below freezing...

Like I stated above-->U will hear many different opinions on what is considered cold... This above is just my personal opinion... Many owners have done it for yrs now, U can run 5W-40 or 10W-30 yr round... with out switching back and forth to 15W-40... U just have to experiment a little--listen to your engine... take a couple of UOA to see how the oil is doing and how your engine reacts to it in the cold weather.

U have to remember--The main benefits from synthetics!
1. Cold weather starts
2. Extended Drain Intervals

Some say they handle heat alot better? I don't know
Some say they clean better? I don't know

I do believe that most engine wear occurs at startup... Hence...the quicker that oil is pumped up to those engine parts the better.

2001 F250 XLT CC 4X4 AUTO SWB
{295K miles}.
Donaldson AIS Intake w/ZooDad
4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust.
DieselSite By-Pass Coolant Filter/{ELC}&RMI-25
DieselSite By-Pass Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
Delete Mods-->{Foil & AIH}
203*{T-Stat}w/Billet Housing
SS HPX line-CCV{to atmosphere}
Marinco Heater Plug
Oil-->T6 5W-40 w/Amsoil Filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode