Going Synth back to Rotella15-40 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Fasthog.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Moroney167
Going Synth back to Rotella15-40

So give me some honest hands on techinical proof this is a bad idea.. I don't care fo rhe long interval changes and to be honest never notice a damn thing over my past two trucks that it ran any better or worse with oils. I have Amsoil syn in it now and its noicy as could be which I don't mind but, just like any oil change is it runs best when its new. So changing oil every 3-5k miles will always give me that and help clean stuff out rather than going 8-10+k miles on syn and having the last half of the run be loud. Be a lot cheaper and I can get very easy whenever I need to instead of chasing down amsoil. Before I got truck was told they ran mobile 1300 Delvac. Only did 8K on amsoil and I need to change it I have been towing and plowing and its winter so I like to do more often.

So input please?!

Jim
'12 F-350 RCLB
Stock - 22K mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Freedom is not free

Re: Going Synth back to Rotella15-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moroney167 View Post
So give me some honest hands on techinical proof this is a bad idea.. I don't care fo rhe long interval changes and to be honest never notice a damn thing over my past two trucks that it ran any better or worse with oils. I have Amsoil syn in it now and its noicy as could be which I don't mind but, just like any oil change is it runs best when its new. So changing oil every 3-5k miles will always give me that and help clean stuff out rather than going 8-10+k miles on syn and having the last half of the run be loud. Be a lot cheaper and I can get very easy whenever I need to instead of chasing down amsoil. Before I got truck was told they ran mobile 1300 Delvac. Only did 8K on amsoil and I need to change it I have been towing and plowing and its winter so I like to do more often.

So input please?!
The first thing that comes to mind is cold starts. If you truck is garage kept then no big deal. A 5W-40 oil flows as a 5 weight oil when cold, a 15W-40 flows as a 15 weight oil when cold. Both will flow as a 40 weight oil when up to operating temp. So if you have cold start issues then a 5W-40 would be better than a 15W-40 during the winter months. I have not seen enough UOA reports on the 6.4L to make a recommendation on oil for the 6.4L Powerstroke. But a quick search on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com might get you your answer.

edit: Here is a better link to the diesel oil forum:

Heavy Duty Engine Oil (HDEO) - Diesel/Gas Pickups/Trucks/Vans - Bob Is The Oil Guy

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods

Last edited by White Buffalo; 01-20-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: update link
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:32 AM
PSN Local

I ran the regular rotella and had no problems. When I would do an oil change at 5,000 miles the truck would run alot better. I switched to the rotella synthetic and it seemed to start and run alot better and even get a little better milage ( better than a fresh regular oil change). I still change the synthetic oil at 5,000 miles. The synthetic oil change doesnt seem to make as big of differance as the regular oil change did. So I would say the sythetic is a better oil. at $20 a gallon, I'll stick with the rotella brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wink Fab - cnc machining and fabrication
2008 f250 4x4 bone stock and ready to mod/repair
97 f350 4x4 410 gears 37 BFG, 4" exhaust, dyi, tw chip,
IDM mod, .427 sonnex valve, rsk w/sd springs, grease able 4x4 lever,Rosewood stage 2, T-500 hpop,1.0 ex housing
These trucks are like crack, you just can't leave it alone.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
PSN Local

i noticed when i switced to syn. from dino that the oil went black with in a couple hundred mile. is the syn just cleaning out the engine? also seen a very noticeable cold weather starts improvement.

1996 F-250,Ext.cab,LB,4x4
stock tires

180K,6 pos chip,Open air filter, 3'' down pipe,fpr mod,ccv mod
4.10s gears!
Boost, Pryo and transmission gauges
sonnax shift improver kit
bronco tank mod
hayden cooler for transmission

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:54 PM
id: 5520

Quote:

So input please?!

I use Motorcraft HD 10W30 in the winter and Motorcraft 15W40 in the spring summer here in Maine and my 6.0 loves it.. I change it at no more than 4K.. The oil is cheap and easy to get (Wal-Mart).. I know what your saying, I don't think it's worth useing the syn oil.. I just go by my manual and it has served me well..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:41 AM
PSN Local

Moroney167, u might not see the difference in how the truck runs like these others. u have a 6.4, they have 7.3's and 6.0's that use the oil to drive the injectors and shear the oil down..

also, without UOA, i wouldn't run extended interval on any oil.

2002 F-250 ccsb, 7.3, Auto, 4x4, BDP Tunes, Stealth Drop In, 4" MBRP, 6637, Van turbo WW ATS, Frantz Bypass,Drilled & Slotted Rotors
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 PM
PSN Local

Quote:

So input please?!

If finding the synthetic is a big issue, just run Rotella T6 from Wal-Mart....it'll be better than regualar Rotella for your motor...

-08 F350 CC/SB
-S475 Billet turbo with .90AR housing @49PSI
-Elite custom aged Head studs
-Elite Valvetrain upgrade W/ Colt Cam (stage2)
-Black Maxx with MCC custom tuning
-SUNCOAST BILLET transmission W/ Precision TC
-Air Dog DF165
-Caltracs traction bars
-Detroit Locker
-Amsoil bumper to bumper
-BIG THANKS TO REIFF DIESEL!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Exploding the magma

Quote:

So input please?!
I don't think it is an aweful idea. Your a common rail so obv. you don't need oil to fire the injectors. My CR cummins had no problem starting in a New England winter with 15w40 in the crank case.

2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 7.3 4R100
6637 203* t-stat 08 diff cover Stancor HPX 6.0 trans cooler, Zone offroad leveling kit, Western UM 8'6" plow

Sold: 2004.5 Ram 2500 w/ 5.9 CTD, Reg Cab 48re
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:20 AM
PSN Local

ok here's my .02 I have a 7.3 with 158K on it . I have used Motorcraft,Rotella and Valvoline Premium Blue Synthetic.
Motor was pulled at 142K for bad front cover so my motor was flushed with new oil every 2k for 6K and changed every 5k after that.

Rotella 15/40 makes the motor run sluggish and impossible to start in the winter even plugged in and Romps like hell. I just dont like it .
Motorcraft15/40 seems to start fine even cold but the engine "sound" is at it's best and just sounds strong to me
Valvoline 5/40 synthetic I hate . The engine smokes like crazy when it's cold and the smoke is like a mist you can't get off you. The engine sounds like a ticking BOMB . I will never put synthetic back in my motor.
I will run and change my Motorcraft 15/40 every 5K until I get rid of it.
We all know when our engines sound best. I would get that oil outta there . Just my thoughts and give Motorcraft a try .
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:21 AM
PSN Local

Did I tell ya I don't like synthetic LOl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode