Ect eot delta question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ect eot delta question

Hello everyone. Iím not new to the forum, but I do believe this is the first time Iíve posted. I have a question specific to my current situation. I have a 2004 f250 6.0. I recently bought an sct livewire ts+. I have not put a tune on the truck yet because I have motor work I want to do before that happens. I was checking out all the pidís it allows me to see, and I noticed my coolant temp sits between 178 and 180 while driving. Now my oil temp will get up to 205 going down the freeway at 65mph not towing or going up hill. Iíve read elsewhere that the coolant should be around 190, and mine never gets that high. Supposedly this truck has sinister diesel oil and egr coolers in it. I donít really know. Is this ďdeltaĒ cause for alarm? Iím ready to buy new oil cooler and egr cooler for it if I have to. I have to get in there and fix an egr insufficient flow problem anyway to pass emissions here in turd bucket California. I have done 2 weeks worth of reading on this, and everything Iíve read tells me itís time for an oil cooler. Any information would be greatly appreciate. Looking for outside opinions on this. I donít have anyone else to talk to about this.
Thanks in advance.
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:45 AM
Train Whistlin' Ex driver

Garage
So, from what I've seen in these forums any spread greater than 15 is cause for concern. I can tell you that my 03 is EGR deleted, running stock location oil cooler, and today in Alabama was at Max 180-187 coolant and oil (I usually have about a 7deg spread between them - Houston summer was near 200deg if not slightly above). If you have a relocation kit (post a pic of the engine bay if you're unsure) then the delta equation is different. But, if you're running a stock location you may be in for work.

2003 Excursion 6.0, 2004 front cover, Stock head bolts, unknown EGR delete, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back exhaust, Magnaflow 60110 catalytic converter (makes the '03 whistle livable), Hellwig Sway bar, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Gearhead tunes - 8k tow or SRL depending on my level of 6.0 paranoia, unknown work by previous owners...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Ect eot delta question

Typically, yes, anything with a 15 degree difference is cause for alarm, so long as that reading is taken on a fully warmed up truck, running 55-60MPH for 20 minutes on flat-ish road, with minimal headwind, and not towing or hauling anything. So, if your numbers were taken with those parameters, you've probably got a clogged oil cooler. However, lets make sure your ECT numbers are right first. 178-180 is low. Possibly you have the wrong thermostat, but it's also possible your sensor is off. Let your engine cool for a good 10 hours or so. Check your EOT and ECT with the engine off, key on, with a cold engine. They should both be about the same (within a couple degrees) and they should be within a couple degrees of the ambient air temperature. If all is well there, I'd replace your t-stat with a new Ford one and then repeat your delta test. If one or both of the sensors is off significantly, I'd address that issue first.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok, so I did the road test after the coolant flush, and that didnít change anything. What I drained out of the radiator wasnít terrible either. I did wind up replacing the thermostat, with a new ford unit, and that increased both my coolant and oil temps 10 degrees after driving it for a good 20 minutes or so. My sensors read almost the same after a cold soak, and may differ from each other and ambient temperature plus or minus 2-3 degrees. I have talked to a few others about this issue, and they convinced me to get get rid of the sinister oil cooler and an oem ford oil cooler. The sinister cooler is maybe 2 years old, and my coolant was replaced when the sinister oil cooler was done. So while Iím replacing the oil cooler over the weekend, Iím also going to have my intake manifold hot tanked to get all the crud out. I pulled the IAT2 sensor and it was nasty. I also have an egr insufficient flow problem, so Iím hoping that the problem is that the intake is clogged up. We will see. Pointers for the egr thing would be great also. I appreciate the replies, and information. I love this truck, and want to make it last as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherlite View Post
Typically, yes, anything with a 15 degree difference is cause for alarm, so long as that reading is taken on a fully warmed up truck, running 55-60MPH for 20 minutes on flat-ish road, with minimal headwind, and not towing or hauling anything. So, if your numbers were taken with those parameters, you've probably got a clogged oil cooler. However, lets make sure your ECT numbers are right first. 178-180 is low. Possibly you have the wrong thermostat, but it's also possible your sensor is off. Let your engine cool for a good 10 hours or so. Check your EOT and ECT with the engine off, key on, with a cold engine. They should both be about the same (within a couple degrees) and they should be within a couple degrees of the ambient air temperature. If all is well there, I'd replace your t-stat with a new Ford one and then repeat your delta test. If one or both of the sensors is off significantly, I'd address that issue first.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hereís a picture of the engine bay. Everything is stock except for the fancy bolt ons. I just added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge also. I wanted to make sure my fuel is where itís supposed to be.

Turd-250 likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Omg.... *smacks forehead* I totally missed the part about you having a sinister oil cooler!!!! Supposedly those have larger coolant passages to prevent clogging, but I've never seen a cross-sectional cut done on one to know for sure. Did it have the Ford Gold coolant in it when you drained? Also, when you did the flush, did you do a reverse flush? If you didn't do the reverse, you might want to try that. That's what finally got mine clear. And as for coolant, stick with an EC-1 rated RED coolant.

Tips on the EGR? If your local laws allow, delete it. If laws don't allow that, but you want the benefits, look up the block-off style...essentially it leaves the cooler in place but the passages are welded shut. If that's not an option, they do sell high flow units which are supposed to not have a rupture concern. Although, regardless, if the oil cooler is kept flowing well, it should never rupture. What other things are you wanting to know on the EGR system?

2004 Excursion 6.0
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well when I get the sinister cooler out, Iím going to cut it in half to see what it looks like. I will post pictures of it after I cut it. My truck did have the ford gold coolant it, but only for about a year, and roughly 15k miles. I did both normal and reverse flush, and no change at all. I had talked to sinister about there oil cooler and they claim I should be getting oem delta. As for the egr, I think I know 90% of the causes for low flow. I will just have to take it one step at a time. Iím hoping something is just clogged up. I pulled my IAT2 sensor and it was caked with black ####, so I know the intake is in bad shape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherlite View Post
Omg.... *smacks forehead* I totally missed the part about you having a sinister oil cooler!!!! Supposedly those have larger coolant passages to prevent clogging, but I've never seen a cross-sectional cut done on one to know for sure. Did it have the Ford Gold coolant in it when you drained? Also, when you did the flush, did you do a reverse flush? If you didn't do the reverse, you might want to try that. That's what finally got mine clear. And as for coolant, stick with an EC-1 rated RED coolant.

Tips on the EGR? If your local laws allow, delete it. If laws don't allow that, but you want the benefits, look up the block-off style...essentially it leaves the cooler in place but the passages are welded shut. If that's not an option, they do sell high flow units which are supposed to not have a rupture concern. Although, regardless, if the oil cooler is kept flowing well, it should never rupture. What other things are you wanting to know on the EGR system?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Something mysterious happened today! Well let me digress. A few days ago I put a tune on my truck and turned off the egr with my livewire. Well yesterday I wound up restoring it back to the stock tune because the motor isnít ready for my right foot. After driving it today for about 50 miles knowing in my heart that stupid little yellow light would come back on, well my egr monitor went to ready state. No more egr flow code as of right now. This has never happened in the entire 2 years of owning this truck with that stupid engine light on because the egr. Now it wants to work for now. Figures! Right before I have to rip the intake manifold off!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Ok, so now that I understand what you're wanting to know about the EGR, your best bet is to delete the EGR cooler and get a tune which turns off the code light for it. The EGR cooler basically contributes to the depositing of soot all over your intake, which mucks up your IAT. But, if you have to keep the cooler and the EGR intact, your best bet is to really clean the valve well and install it with new o-rings. After that, you should be good for a year or two before it will need cleaning again...based on most experiences I have read about.

And it sounds like that tune you have may have been messing with things a bit. Might want to consider a different tune?

2004 Excursion 6.0
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:23 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod View Post
Well when I get the sinister cooler out, Iím going to cut it in half to see what it looks like. I will post pictures of it after I cut it. My truck did have the ford gold coolant it, but only for about a year, and roughly 15k miles. I did both normal and reverse flush, and no change at all. I had talked to sinister about there oil cooler and they claim I should be getting oem delta. As for the egr, I think I know 90% of the causes for low flow. I will just have to take it one step at a time. Iím hoping something is just clogged up. I pulled my IAT2 sensor and it was caked with black ####, so I know the intake is in bad shape!

That's funny right there. They know's damn good & well that their pos oil cooler never runs oem deltas. Everyone who has ever installed one has immediately complained of higher than normal deltas.

Sinister, not just a name, it's a business model too.

SparkyF250
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4
4" Flo-Pro, Edge CTS2 Pro
Blue Spring, IPR coolant filter
Toyo Open Country AT2's

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4
7.3, ZF6
Hydra, Edge CTS2
S&B Cold Air
4" SS Diamond Eye Exhaust

1991 F350 Single Cab Flatbed
7.3 IDI 5 Speed
Toyo Open Country AT2's
(project truck)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode