Rotella T6 cause scoring to spool valves? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Rotella T6 cause scoring to spool valves?

Hello first time poster, I have a 2004 Ford F-250 6.0 I bought about 2 years ago it needed work guy only wanted $3,500 for it so couldnít pass it up. After doing tons of research I went through the truck to find all the problems it had (mostly bad injectors) came to find out the black plastic fuel pressure seat was cracked causing low fuel pressure which resulted in 4 injectors killing themselves (injectors came out in 2 pieces when removed for replacement). After searching all over online for a good decent priced injector source I decided on Warren Diesel 155cc with stock nozzles and new spool valves these came with an 18mo warranty. Ordered a set of 8, Installed them tuned the truck with their tune using sct tuner and religiously changed my oil every 5k miles with Rotella T6. About 3 months ago on my way to work I had an injector quit on me with a low circuit code from what I gather this usually means the injector solenoid let go. Called warren diesel and turns out I was 2 months out of warranty and the lady asks what oil I was running and I told her the Rotella T6 that everyone on all the diesel forums swears by for the 6.0 she says actually we found that T6 is to thin of an oil and causes the spool valves to score and scratch and stick and recommend conventional Schaferís oil. I ordered the replacement injector from them and replaced it doing an oil change at the same time, couldnít find Schaferís in my area and Rotella T was on sale so thatís what I went with figured well itís a conventional oil. Fired truck up ran great again, about 300 miles later an injector on the driver side stops firing this time with a contribution balance code. Called warren diesel again and they said the same speal about the wrong oil and said even the Rotella T was wrong if I couldnít find Schaferís to use motorcraft oil. Guess my question out of this long winded post is do you think they are blowing smoke? The way I see it diesel oils with the same weight should all be close to the same? 5w-40 vs 15w-40 conventional or synthetic are all gonna have the same viscosity at operating temps correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:23 PM
PSN Local

Garage
In theory viscosity is viscosity. But if two oils with the same viscosity have different detergents and additives in them then after some wear they can preform different. At least thats my understanding from where i work when we get oil samples done every month on all our machinery. We do in house testing and lab analysis. One ship i was on ran the same viscoisty oil in the Generators as the Main Engine. Generator oil was a 500hr and done full oil change. Main engine was a once a month top up of 50-100L, Change filters once a year, and clean the lub oil purifer every few months. Engine was 20+ years old when i left. Oil was tested every month to see if it hadent started to detorate. If the oil did get to bad we could get an oil tech in and they would add detergents to our oil again. Main Engine oil was Much more expensive then the Generator oil tho.

I wish it was just as simple as viscosity is viscosity then i wouldnt be forking out close to $25 a ltr for Motorex liquid magic oil for my KTM lol.

Ugh i already know im gonna kick myself for posting in an oil thread lol

97 F350 4x4. 54xxxkm
Reg cab 8' Box
Just starting to pick at it
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Re: Rotella T6 cause scoring to spool valves?

yes I think they are blowing smoke

I have run T6 5-40 for 100,000 miles with no injector issues or blackstone problems

I know a lot of people wo have had good results with T6

Quote:
Ugh i already know im gonna kick myself for posting in an oil thread lol
you and me both

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zmann; 12-09-2017 at 10:10 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:22 PM
PSN Veteran

I haven't seen that many "praising" T6. Lol Especially not on all the forums. But that's here nor there.
Sounds like they were blowing smoke up your chute.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 03:29 AM
PSN Veteran

I believe that what they are telling you is "bovine feces". T-6 causing these problems does not even make sense in their alternative universe!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 04:25 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

What should make you immediately raise the BS flag is that they said the T6 is too thin. T6 has either 0W-40 or 5W-40. Schaeffers offers up to 30 in light truck, and up to 40 weight in their heavy duty. Weights aren't just assigned randomly. They HAVE to meet certain requirements to be labeled a certain SAE viscosity. So, to say the 40 weight is too thin as compared to a 30 weight, or another 40 weight, just reeks of a dairy...and in case you've never smelled a dairy, it's NASTY! lol

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Got the replacement injectors ordered from warren yesterday and the warranty paper shows the oils they told me about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5813CE12-E7FA-4BBB-8D61-45EAA97E91C6_1513104043031.jpeg (1.85 MB, 85 views)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 05:52 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

yes! an oil thread! we haven't had a good oil fight on here in years it seems like lol!
fwiw, my truck loves T6

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrick55555 View Post
Got the replacement injectors ordered from warren yesterday and the warranty paper shows the oils they told me about.
hmmm that pic isn't loading for me... i was really wanting to see it too! lol

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I know I know oil talk is a sore subject for many I mearly brought it up because of what I have been told by warren Diesel is all, I will try uploading the pic again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 95241D2C-CD5B-4624-9CCB-D8218B69EBFD_1513108430766.jpeg (1.85 MB, 79 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode