FORD XL-3 Friction Modifier - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

FORD XL-3 Friction Modifier

good Morning PSN!

i've read many times over the years that people like putting this additive in their ford power steering pumps that are spec'd to use ATF. Matter fact, on the mustang & explorer type of forums, it seems that ford techs are/were trained to put it right in the pump reservoir due to a TSB, which i have yet to find. and i've been reading on this forum to see if anybody agrees/disagrees but have come up with nothing.

Anyway, I have a noisy pump on a gas powered ford of mine. i've flushed it a few times since i installed it, but it still whines... oh well. they say this additive quietens down the typical ford p/s pump whine and lubes the system without swelling seals.

Now, this stuff is used in rear diffs if i understand correctly. Anybody ever use this stuff for any other reason than what it was designed for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Re: FORD XL-3 Friction Modifier

never heard of using it in a PS system

and it stinks to high hell just fyi

the function in a limited slip rear is to get rid of clutch chatter
so there may be something to your findings
but i would try a good syn PS fluid flush first if it was mine

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

thanks! any recommendations on a brand of synth ATF?

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:08 PM
Administrator

not sure what your other ford specs?
my truck calls for Mercon V

so i use

i had run a syn PS fluid before but I do not remember what brand

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

its merc v, best i remember lol

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 PM
PSN Veteran

is this the crappy plastic bodied power steering pump?
If so you will never get rid of the whine once it starts no matter what you ad!
I do not see the friction modifier hurting anything, its good at anti foaming

With those plastic bodied pumps I have been through the ringer trying to get them to quiet down, a full flushing does little if anything at one point I even tried a lubricant made from bananas and one with whale sperm in it. Best stuff you can try is lubeguard
see pages 22-23
http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/downloa...oductguide.pdf

If you really want the noise gone you need one of these:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...view/make/ford

I can tell you a ford suv or truck is coming from 1/4 mile when they have one of those plastic pumps from the 90's
whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine whiiiiiiiiiine whiiiiiiiine worse then a 2 year old

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

exactly, plastic and crappy! and darn, must have let some air in there...

yep, you can hear mine from around the block!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

wow! $150 is not bad! i paid $120 for a rebuild

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs;5536946I
even tried a lubricant made from whale sperm

sounds like something Turd could whip up at home

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post

sounds like something Turd could whip up at home
ewwww!!!!!
reminds me of something...
you're whalecum lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode