Using JP-5 in Diesel Engine - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Using JP-5 in Diesel Engine

Hi all. New to this forum and I'm a pretty big newbie relating to anything to do with cars. Hope you all can help. I work for a company that will be doing construction work on a small island in the Pacific. We are shipping 2 John Deere ATV XUV 855D 2016's out to the island. The only fuel available will be JP-5.

I am trying to figure out what additive and in what ratio should be added to the JP-5. So far, my research is suggesting using a standard 2-stroke engine oil. But at what ratio widely varies. Anyone familiar with this application?

Also, can I use an outboard 2-stroke oil (I only ask because it comes in gallon quantities and I need a large quantity - enough to last a year).

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage
Re: Using JP-5 in Diesel Engine

Really, you should be calling JD and asking to speak to one of their tech reps about this. Realistically, burning JP-5 in place of DF-2 should need no additives. However, that does not mean all of the seals will be compatible. For instance, when we swapped to JP-5 on certain military vehicles, the motorpool needed to change out all seals in the HMMWVs, but didn't have to do a thing on our MRAP. So call JD and see what they say.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Luddite in Charge

Re: Using JP-5 in Diesel Engine

The only difference is the JP is more volatile and has a lower flash point . This is because at high altitude the air is much thinner (less oxygen) and well below freezing.

So to answer your question, JP-5 would probably at the worst burn a little hotter. Watch out for the other micro-brew jet fuels tho, Jet B and "wide cut fuels" have quite a bit of gasoline in them and I don't think our motors would take too fondly to that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode