6.0 Fluid Changeout - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
New 6.0 Owner

6.0 Fluid Changeout

I just bought my first diesel and it is a 2004 6.0 with 160K on it and I plan on putting the Rotella 5-40w in it but I have no idea what AR9100(I think I got that right) is and was hoping to get some input. I also checked the trans fluid and it is in good shape but would like to change it out, however ,I am worried about doing the flush since it does have some miles on it and I know losing those wear products can result in a multitude of problems in some cases. So was just kind of hoping to get some input from you fine gents who have been doing this longer than I have been driving and go from there. Also is doing an oil change on your own as easy as on a normal truck or is it a little different with a diesel? And finally... what oil filter do yall recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:19 AM
PSN Newb

Re: 6.0 Fluid Changeout

I have an 04 with 136k. I put in the Archoil at my last oil change. Very happy with the results! I also run the 15-40 dino motorcraft oil. Thinking about changing to synthetic though.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
New 6.0 Owner

ok so I will definitely be running the Archoil in mine I have decided after looking into it, also is there any consensus on oil? By that I mean 5W or 15W? I live I the south so very rarely do we even get below freezing but it gets hotter than hell.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Administrator

5w is just a better starting oil IMO i run it 365 and I live in AZ

the Flush for the trany is very straight forward if you have it done by Ford
and really if someone says they can do it but does not have a heated flushing machine they are full of it
the 5r bypasses the cooling circuit (mostly) until over 170+
that being said the only thing that flush does it hijacks the old fluid and replaces with clean so if you were counting on old suspended grit to keep friction between the clutches then you would be correct about your fears

I don't think that's the way it works so I would get the old stuff out
bare minimum do a pan drop or 2 and consider the 08++ pan and filter upgrade

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0Sailor View Post
I just bought my first diesel and it is a 2004 6.0 with 160K on it and I plan on putting the Rotella 5-40w in it but I have no idea what AR9100(I think I got that right) is and was hoping to get some input.

Also is doing an oil change on your own as easy as on a normal truck or is it a little different with a diesel?

And finally... what oil filter do yall recommend?
Rotella 5-40w with AR9100 has done me a lot of good!

oil change is simple as catching the 4 gallons coming out, reinstall plug, refill, and replace filter!

and ALWAYS use an oem motorcraft filter... then again i believe racor is essentially the same as the motorcraft iirc...

& sub'd - always in the mood for fluid discussions

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
New 6.0 Owner

Thanks for al the help. Ill be doing it myself this weekend I think im going to go with the Rotella 5W-40 with AR9100, and as far as the stock filters go I read a lot about that and I know what your talking about there at least. But none the less you gents have come through in answering my questions!! So again thanks you for that! As far as the trans fluid ill just take it to my friends shop and have him do it for me! Great having a mechanic with his own shop as a friend!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:08 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

no! oh & be sure your buddy understands how much fluid is in the cooler lines and torque converter. it takes a several flush-n-fills to get most of the trans fluid out (unless he's got a heated flush machine)

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:43 PM
PSN Newb

I bought my 05 with 187,000 on the clock. I did all my own fluid changes. In the engine, I used Rotella T6 and 1 quart of the Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. I know I am in the minority but this stuff works for me. The engine starts great and idles smooth almost instantly. Better than with the oil alone. It started down to 12 degrees without being plugged in. I use this in other equipment and have great results with it. YMMV

2005 F250 Crew Cab FX4, 190,000 and counting. :-)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
no! oh & be sure your buddy understands how much fluid is in the cooler lines and torque converter. it takes a several flush-n-fills to get most of the trans fluid out (unless he's got a heated flush machine)
lol i meant to type 'no problem!', not just 'no!' lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyhiker View Post
I bought my 05 with 187,000 on the clock. I did all my own fluid changes. In the engine, I used Rotella T6 and 1 quart of the Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. I know I am in the minority but this stuff works for me. The engine starts great and idles smooth almost instantly. Better than with the oil alone. It started down to 12 degrees without being plugged in. I use this in other equipment and have great results with it. YMMV
i tried lucal oil treatment for gas engines before, I was pleased with the outcome!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 04:57 PM
PSN Local

Ive been doing alot of reading about different oil's (brands and ratings) trying to figure out what to use on my next OC, was thinking about schaefers 5W-40 but no local stores so Id have to buy in bulk to save on shipping ($375= 16 gallons) so I might go the Rotella way. One thing that I read was the "Shearing Effect" of 40 weight oil in the 6.0 and the opinion that because a 40W oil essentially becomes a 30W oil it makes more sense to run a 30W oil.. Am I understanding that correctlly? can anyone speak to this? I got that info from a thread on BITOG

'06 F350,SRW 4X4, 4 door, LB, Sinister EGR cooler, Sinister coolant filter, Studded, Live Wire SCT
'97 F250 SRW 2WD LB (Under Construction)
'72 F250 2WD, 390 Fuel injected (Under Construction)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode