Coolant Questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Coolant Questions

Hey guys, I have a 1996 F350 7.3L and I am getting ready to do my oil cooler o-ring replacement this weekend, I just bought 3 jugs of Prestone concentrate and will add water to it.

My question is what coolant additive does my truck need? I never knew that there was a need for an additive in the coolant until today when I started looking things up.

I'd really like to source the additive from a autozone or advance auto or local parts store like that and not have to go to any dealer.

Do any of these stores sell an additive that I can use with the Prestone coolant?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:38 PM
csp
PSN Veteran

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Coolant Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Thanks for the info!

Has anyone used Napa Kool? If so, how much do I need to buy. I'm thinking of ordering it online since there isn't a napa too close to me and it won't let me see the directions on their website.

Any help would be appreciated.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:36 PM
Caption This

Are there any truck dealerships in your area?
Peterbilt, Kenworth, Freightliner, International,

Or maybe a Cummins Engine shop.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
Are there any truck dealerships in your area?
Peterbilt, Kenworth, Freightliner, International,

Or maybe a Cummins Engine shop.
Not that I'm aware of?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Another quick question.. what would happen if I were to just put coolant in my truck and not the additive?

Of course I would eventually (like within a week) order the additive and put it in, but I really want to get this done today.

I guess what I'm saying is, would it be okay to run only coolant with no additive for a week or so until I can get the additive?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Okay, one last thing.

I've researched quite a bit more and now I have a better understanding of the importance of additives.

My question is this: When I drain all of my coolant doing the oil cooler seals, How much a.) coolant is required total and b.) how much (ballpark) DCA4 do I need to add?

I plan on ordering the DCA4 from dieselmanor.com and I'd like to know how much to order so I don't end up not having enough, or ordering too much.

I assume everyone knows that it comes in pints and you can get a half gallon of it too.

If I don't get any answers to these questions, I suppose I'll just order the half gallon and hope that it's enough. I've read somewhere that 3 pints would put me in the range, but I'm not sure if there was a coolant capacity difference or not.

I plan on ordering the test strips also, but like I said before, I just want to have enough of the stuff so I can get this job done and over with.

Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:00 AM
csp
PSN Veteran

Pretty sure the answers to all those questions are in that thread I linked. Just an FYI, stick with questions like this in the OBS forums. There's a lot more traffic there, as well as existing answers to just any any question you could think of.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Pretty sure the answers to all those questions are in that thread I linked. Just an FYI, stick with questions like this in the OBS forums. There's a lot more traffic there, as well as existing answers to just any any question you could think of.
Okay, I read through the thread 3 times and can't seem to find and info on my question (however the info in the thread is very helpful).

Dually noted on the thread placement, I'm still kind of feeling the forum out and seeing how things are run around here.

I think as far as my coolant issues go I'm just going to get the half gallon and some test strips and see where that gets me; I "should" have some left over to top off it needed throughout the year or so.

I appreciate all the help! Thanks again! The more time I spend on the forum, the more I learn and that's what it's all about!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:34 AM
csp
PSN Veteran

I add three bottles of FW16 when I do coolant swaps every 30k miles and it gets the SCA levels right where they need to be. I don't go so far as to drain the block and oil cooler though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode