Midwest Diesel Fuel Prices - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Midwest Diesel Fuel Prices

I was wondering if anybody knew why the price of diesel here in Indiana [and midwest] went from $3.69.9 [and cheaper] to $3.99.9 in one day? I googled it and it read that diesel jumped 16.4 cents per gallon in the midwest, and lower increases around the country, but it didn't say why. More like 30 cents here. This is a bunch of crap. The US is now the second largest oil producing nation in the world at 9 million barrels per day, only behind Saudi Arabia. Future generations will look back at this time period as being the biggest consumer ripoff in the history of the planet. OK- I'm done.

2012 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 6.7l
Tuxedo Black
3.55 E-Locker..Timbrens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:40 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: Midwest Diesel Fuel Prices

i was wondering the same! just about to start a thread over Oklahoma City fuel actually lol!

around here it went up about $0.20 at about the same time gas wend down $0.50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 01:19 AM
Guilty on all counts

If you come down to Florida this winter, you should find it considerably cheaper. I filled up today with B20 at $3.29 per gal.

2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3
2000 F350 4x4 CC SWB
1988 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 (can I squeeze a 7.3 under the hood?)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picanins View Post
If you come down to Florida this winter, you should find it considerably cheaper. I filled up today with B20 at $3.29 per gal.
We're still trying to figure out how we can manage to get down there this winter. I say this "winter" but winter has already arrived here, a month and a half early. I'm still trying how to figure how the laws of supply and demand don't apply to oil [a commodity]. Maybe just some Futures traders trying to line their pockets just a little more.

Tuxedo Black
3.55 E-Locker..Timbrens
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Sabol

Why is diesel more expensive at the pump then gas in the first place. I always hear that diesel is easier to make from crude the gasoline. Is there any truth to that? Im sure state taxes play into the huge spread too, with the number of semi trucks on the road you would think if a state gets outta control with the fuel tax at pump trucks would fill before the border and try to pass thru.

- Adam
2011 F350 6.7 CCSB Lariat FX4 stock
2006 F250 6.0 CCSB Lariat FX4 4" lift 4" exhaust
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 06:55 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

well some crude is better for certain products than others. after distilling any given batch, there's no guarantee that you'll come out with the same ratios of everything...lets see if i can find a picture...

edit: so if you have heavy crude, you're likely to make more diesel! but for instance canadian tar sand & venisuelan crude doesn't have a lot of light molecule HCs. and look at Pennsylvanian crude, it's full of wax. now take texan & saudi crude, it's probably a lot lighter (not totally sure but i thought they're the big time gasoline producers).

another thing to consider on diesel vs gasoline prices is the fact that the feds now requier all diesel fuel to be Ultra Low Sulfur. adds to the final price.

side note: diesel average around here is about 3.70/gal. i found diesel for 3.22 t a phillips 66 right across the road it was 3.79

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 07:29 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

another edit on that, if you have a medium to heavy crude, you might make more diesel than gasoline, but i don't think there's any solid rule on that. i think it's reservoir by reservoir.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Rob, thanks for the graphics. I thought I read somewhere that 50% of a barrel of crude went to making unleaded fuel, 30% for various lubricants, plastics etc and 20% for diesel. I sometimes wonder if the general public realizes that high diesel prices directly influence what they pay for most goods consumed/bought. I also read that the US is producing so much oil, their having trouble storing it. Same with natural gas.

Tuxedo Black
3.55 E-Locker..Timbrens
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 11:20 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

that spread sounds about right for the majority of crude i think.
i'm with you, people in general don't appreciate the trucks out there, let alone the diesel prices lol.
about storing the natural gas, we got so efficient at producing it i bet that's true too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode