Fuel leak help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Fuel leak help

I finally had an opportunity to pick up a 97 cclb powerstroke and I couldn't pass on it. When I picked it up the guy said that it leaked fuel because it sat for so long and was hardly ever driven. He said the long sitting caused some kind of algae to grow in the fuel bowl or lines and it caused the leak? It only drips a little bit and only after you shut it off after driving it, but with diesel approaching. $4 a gallon every drop counts haha.
1. Has anyone ever heard of this algae problem before?
2. Is there any kind of additive I can use to clear it out or do I need to replace the lines and fuel bowl and possibly even the tank?
3. Could this kill the trucks engine if untreated?

Thanks for the help!

99 F350 sclb 7.3 powerstroke SOLD
1997 F350 cclb 7.3 powerstroke - EDGE CTS Monitor, S&B Cold Air, TS 6 pos., 4" turbo back diamond eye dual exhaust to dual 7" black tips, more on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM
PSN Local

Re: Fuel leak help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99350_stroker View Post
I finally had an opportunity to pick up a 97 cclb powerstroke and I couldn't pass on it. When I picked it up the guy said that it leaked fuel because it sat for so long and was hardly ever driven. He said the long sitting caused some kind of algae to grow in the fuel bowl or lines and it caused the leak? It only drips a little bit and only after you shut it off after driving it, but with diesel approaching. $4 a gallon every drop counts haha.
2. Is there any kind of additive I can use to clear it out or do I need to replace the lines and fuel bowl and possibly even the tank?

Thanks for the help!
My neighbor is a Ford mechanic 23yrs in the biz. Anyway I will ask him and post his response. Give me a few hours, he should be waking up soon.

00' 7.3 Power stroke.
-Afe Big Boost air filter.
-Magnaflow exhaust.
-PHP Hydra chip.
-Riffraff Compressor Wheel.
-Riffraff Fuel Rail Crossover.
Kentucky Built.
and 173,000 miles with Amsoil.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:13 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99350_stroker View Post

Thanks for the help!
OK here it is. YES it is possible to grow algae in your fuel system due to the presence of moisture.
Now have you drained the water out of fuel bowl?

Now Amsoil does not have a product to get rid of algae.
So I recommend Diesel Extreme - Hot Shots Secret This will do the job. You just add a little to each fill up. Now this WILL clean out your system, but may not completely kill the algae. You will need a bio-side for that, if you call the hotshot secret guys they do have a bio-side it is just not on there web site.

00' 7.3 Power stroke.
-Afe Big Boost air filter.
-Magnaflow exhaust.
-PHP Hydra chip.
-Riffraff Compressor Wheel.
-Riffraff Fuel Rail Crossover.
Kentucky Built.
and 173,000 miles with Amsoil.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well thank you for the response. I will have to look into that.

99 F350 sclb 7.3 powerstroke SOLD
1997 F350 cclb 7.3 powerstroke - EDGE CTS Monitor, S&B Cold Air, TS 6 pos., 4" turbo back diamond eye dual exhaust to dual 7" black tips, more on the way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode