For those that use undercoating... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

For those that use undercoating...

Have you used Fluid Film? I am looking into it for my truck, as i want the frame and cab to stay in tact. If so, how much did it take to do the underbody? On a side note, how about the chassis black by eastwood? I like the classic look of the black. Thanks

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM
PSN Local

Re: For those that use undercoating...

i read somewhere that the fluid film traps moisture in and makes it worse if i recall correctly eastwood is a good company

08 superduty 6.4 fx4 sct live wire 9625or edge evo monitor flow pro 5 inch downpipe back. Afe stage 2 cold air intake 35 inch mickys on 18 revolver rims. dpf delete ccv mod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 TDI jetta . Strait piped runnin on B100 summertime and B50 in the winter.

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 01:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Fluid Film is AWESOME at keeping rust away. However, it is not a very clean option. Fluid film is a lanolin (i think that's how you spell it) based product and it will not wash off with just water. However, it is completely safe for all paints, glass, rubber, plastics, ect. It will not deteriorate rubber like grease or oil can. I have used fluid film in areas that you just cannot get to paint. It's funny, even a year later after you spray it, it will continue to "creep" and spread into every little nook and cranny. It never dries like rubberized undercoating and it kinda "heals" itself if it gets rubbed or scraped off. However, because of the fact that it never dries, dust and dirt really stick to it. But I don't see how it could trap water in, in any way.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I will probably use por-15 topped with their chassis black coating after some research. I'll just clean the frame really well, leave any rust where it is and just grind down all the old undercoating. Prep it with their metal prep and let her rip. That will be my summer project i think. I like a very clean look so thats why i'll probably stay away from fluid film.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 AM
PSN Local

I'm going to strip and paint my frame as well. Pull the bed etc...

Take a look at east wood rust encapsulators and other frame products..

Also, take a look at Krown.. Good to keep rust from doors can corners etc.

1997 F-350 RCLB PSD XLT 4x4 ZF5. 3" DP

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I have a guy i work with that used the stuff that ford uses on the 7.3 oil pans. I believe it is a rust encapsulator. He said the stuff has been working great. Just needle scaled the frame, power washed, applied, and topped with a chassis black. It seems that POR-15 has a very picky prep. I am not removing the cab/bed, etc so its going to be tough to get all the spots i want. My biggest concerns are really the axles, frame and underside of the cab. The bed cross rails need repair anyway so im not doing them.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 07:27 AM
PSN Newb

Try KSB coatings!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 PM
PSN Veteran

Fluid film is fantastic. But, like previously mentioned, it is not clean. I sprayed it into cracks that I could not paint and it has stopped the rust. I love it.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode