Schaeffers... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Schaeffers...

Probably would be fine, but just figured I would ask the masses.. Can I mix the 7000 15w40 with the 9000 5w40??

2002 White CC Short 4x4
Magnaflow Ex
DP-Tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Engineering College Boy

Send a message via AIM to Got Diesel Send a message via MSN to Got Diesel
Re: Schaeffers...

Yeah should be fine.

But how much of each? All it should do is create a blend between the two.

Kyle
Early 99 F-250SD 7.3 PSD 4x4. Auto, tymar type intake, straight pipe, Six inch stacks, Tony Wildman Four position chip, Street race, 80 Tow, 80 Econo, Extreme. Let the smoke roll. Upgraded torque converter. Autometer Ultralights on the Pillar. Running Cooper Discover STT's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SLAPS MEMBER
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Freedom is not free

Don't do it. You do not want to mix different viscosity oils. In addition, the additive package between the 15W-40 and 5W-40 is different. Since the additives work in conjunction with each other you might be messing up the performance of the oil.

Wher in Oklahoma are you? Just getting ready to move from Fort Sill/Lawton.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:02 AM
PSN Veteran

IIRC , on the quart's it said do not mix with other oils, do not see it on the gallon jugs

I switched to the 9000 last oil change after running Rottela 15-40 for
240k+miles.
While I belive Schaffers is a quality oil,I have a issue that was not present before, surges when cold at slow (20-30 mph) in the AM or after sitting for an hour or so.

E '99 F-350 CC LB, ZF6, IDP -T4i Mount, Comp. Fuel System, , Reg. Return, Comp Valve springs, ARP's, DI P- Rods, Adrenaline HPOP, Isspro's, Detroit Tru Trac

238/200
ISM HX50
Tyrant Tunes
South Bend DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Wher in Oklahoma are you? Just getting ready to move from Fort Sill/Lawton.[/QUOTE]

In Ada. I was wanting to change to the 9000, but I had several quarts of the 7000 leftover, thanks to being only able to buy them in 12's. Dont know why they wont ship them in 15's, since thats what most of these things use...

2002 White CC Short 4x4
Magnaflow Ex
DP-Tuner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHill View Post
IIRC , on the quart's it said do not mix with other oils, do not see it on the gallon jugs

240k+miles.
While I belive Schaffers is a quality oil,I have a issue that was not present before, surges when cold at slow (20-30 mph) in the AM or after sitting for an hour or so.
That's because of all your horshpowa....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuddz View Post
In Ada. I was wanting to change to the 9000, but I had several quarts of the 7000 leftover, thanks to being only able to buy them in 12's. Dont know why they wont ship them in 15's, since thats what most of these things use...
You might consider buying it by the gallon. Quite a bit cheaper than the quarts.

Quote:
240k+miles. While I belive Schaffers is a quality oil,I have a issue that was not present before, surges when cold at slow (20-30 mph) in the AM or after sitting for an hour or so.
Wow, I haven't heard of a 7.3L having this issue before. Are you sure it is from the oil and not another issue?

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Buffalo View Post
Wow, I haven't heard of a 7.3L having this issue before. Are you sure it is from the oil and not another issue?
I installed a DIY reg.return 2 days prior and then changed the oil.
not so much an issue as anyoing, fuel pressure does not seem to affect it one way or the other. called and spoke with Jody, should not be a tunning issue
fuel pressure is steady @ 60psi from a rolling start to a wot run, icp/duty cycle are normal. may return the other case for the 7000 and see what happens

E '99 F-350 CC LB, ZF6, IDP -T4i Mount, Comp. Fuel System, , Reg. Return, Comp Valve springs, ARP's, DI P- Rods, Adrenaline HPOP, Isspro's, Detroit Tru Trac

238/200
ISM HX50
Tyrant Tunes
South Bend DD

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 PM
hit n miss

Quote:

240k+miles.
Had the same exact surge problem when I put Rotella 5-40 in the truck. Also switched to 9000 on my last oil change and the problem has not gone away entirely but has got a lot better. Tried a couple ICP's, new IPR, rebuilt IPR, no change. Gunna try 7000 next and see if this goes away. Never did it on Rotella 15-40.

97 Green F-350 XLT 7.3L PSD 4x4 CC LB BTS E40D Manual Hubs 4.10 36000 miles when purchased 4/1/06. Mods - ISSPRO Performax gauges, Tymar intake, Tymar 3x4 DP to 4" ss exhaust, electric fuel, CCV mod, 6.0 fan, tru-cool 4739, Swamps 175/30% injectors, stage I Stealth pump, LASB turbo, Spearco 6.0 cac, live tuned 442hp/860tq.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 AM
PSN Veteran

after about 3000 mi it has seemed to go away

238/200
ISM HX50
Tyrant Tunes
South Bend DD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode