How much cetane booster to add? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

How much cetane booster to add?

Alot of people have been telling me that the centane rating in california is very low, so I was going to start adding cetane booster. How much is good to add? When I look at the bottles of booster it says "for 10 gal of diesel add X amount of booster." However I want to know what the numbers are. Lastly, what brand of booster is good to use?

2006 F250 CC LB FX4 Lariat
ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 PM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

Re: How much cetane booster to add?

Power Service Diesel Kleen works well. I use the silver bottle because it's supposed to have more cetane booster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

No body else has any input?

ARP studs, SCT X3 IDP & Gearhead tuned, S&B CAI, straight pipe, FASS 150/180, FCDP solid uppipe, Dieselsite coolant filter
2.5" BTS leveling kit, 35" Xtreme A/T's on XD Hoss 18's, N-Fab prerunner bar w/ 3 9" Hellas

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM
diesel and nothing else

Send a message via Yahoo to amarillo250

i use Howies fuel treatment its great for the big rigs and have less soot and water problems. You can get it at any truckstop.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 PM
PSN Local

Diesel kleen,I think it was the one quart bottle I was getting 4 tanks of diesel too.It seemed to help alot with starts in the winter.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I bought some of that diesel kleen, but my tank is at 1/4 so i am going to put it in when i fill up. Thanks for the info.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Freedom is not free

Diesel engines run well with a cetane index from 40 to 55. Diesel fuels with a higher cetane index which have shorter ignition delays provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesels operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance or emission advantage when the cetane is raised past approximately 55. After this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau. In the US diesel at the pump can be found in two cetane ranges: 38-42 for regular diesel, and 42-45 for premium. Premium diesel also may have additives to improve cetane and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.

So yes, a cetane boost is a good thing but a diesel fuel additive with all the above mentioned additives is the best route to go IMO. I like using Schaeffer's Dieseltreat myself. At @ $6 a can it treats 125 gallons and adds a 5 point cetane boost.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/fuel_additives.html

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Buffalo View Post
Diesel engines run well with a cetane index from 40 to 55. Diesel fuels with a higher cetane index which have shorter ignition delays provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesels operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance or emission advantage when the cetane is raised past approximately 55. After this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau. In the US diesel at the pump can be found in two cetane ranges: 38-42 for regular diesel, and 42-45 for premium. Premium diesel also may have additives to improve cetane and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.

So yes, a cetane boost is a good thing but a diesel fuel additive with all the above mentioned additives is the best route to go IMO. I like using Schaeffer's Dieseltreat myself. At @ $6 a can it treats 125 gallons and adds a 5 point cetane boost.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/fuel_additives.html

Wow! Great info thanks. Someone had told me that Cali's cetane was about 35 that's why I wanted to know. I'm trying the diesel kleen mentioned above and it is supposed to add 7 points.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 04:10 AM
Freedom is not free

Don't know where you are in Cali, but Chevron is Launching their Premium Diesel Pilot Program in Sacramento. 48 station will cary thier new diesel fuel.

here's the link:

http://www.allbusiness.com/energy-ut...7750592-1.html

Flint Hills refinery in Minnesota seems to be doing very well with their premium diesel fuels also.

http://www.premiumdiesel.com/product/goldplus.aspx

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I'm about 4 hours from Sac. I hope they bring that down here...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode