Rear and front axle fluid - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
peterbilt'in

Rear and front axle fluid

hey

checked my rear axle fluid... i couldnt feel lit though the hole... (10.25 axle) so i went to the advanced and got some Lucas 75-140... only 140 they had and added about a quart.. front was fine.. kinda getting to chocolate milk though.

whats the thought on on Lucas gear oil?? or get something better... and synthetic?

thanks

-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Super Hauler!

Re: Rear and front axle fluid

synthetic is what the recommend, I would change it if i were you just to do it if it looks used and smells burnt.

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:10 PM
diesel and nothing else

Send a message via Yahoo to amarillo250

I roll the amsoil full synt. and nothing else, front, rear,tranny and transfer.
It runs so smooooooooth

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Needs more hours per day

Ford specs a full synthetic only for the rear axle...

Jeremy
2000 F-350, CCLB, SRW, 4x4, '04 5.9 Common Rail Cummins Conversion
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans
Eventually: Compound Turbos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
peterbilt'in

hey guys

update.

i pulled the drain plug out... and what came out, well i can still smell it. it came out of the fill plug like COLD chocolate syrup. Not chocolate milk..(no water) but Syrup out of the refrigerator. and it also had metal flakes in it. the magnetic plug... had chunks of metal on it.

was able to suck out 1/2 -3/4 quart with a little sucker thing i bought a while back... put in 1 quart of mobil 1 fully synthetic 80?-140. 21$ a quart.

at the end of the month ill have a weekend where im not going to have to go any where so im pulling the cover and find out where the metals coming from. then seeing what i have to do. i did some calling around... NO ONE can get me parts for the axle... whats with that?!?!

side note... How does the Dana 70 or 80 bolt up in the rear??

the trucks a 2002 F350 extended cab, long bed. 4x4 auto, i believe it has the 3.73 gearing.

thanks!

-Rob

2002 F350 extended cab XLT, 4x4 auto,194K mi @ 10/25/13, ELF7405, DP F5, ultra light gauges, all kinds of "improvements" Yukon Grizzly locker 6K helper springs, x code fronts. 2 Y2K jetta Tdi. RC2 tuned
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM

all you need to pull the cover, clean out the pumpkin and reseal it is oil, rvt sealer and some rags. the cover is just sealed with rvt sealer. it sounds like you got moisture in the axle. while you are doing it check the vent hose off the left side axle tube to make sure it is clear with no obstructions
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:30 AM
SyN
Lubrication Addict!!

Rob... You can buy redline 75W-140 at summit racing for $12.95 a qt.
Redlines gear oils are top notch. If you find out you have a limited slip diff, you will probably not need to add friction modifier, due too the redline already has it in it. Personally I would stay away from lucas. Stick with your M1-Amsoil-Redline-RP. Schaeffers makes a superior product as well, but I don't think they produce a 75W-140.

Now if you have an extra $169 to $180 dollars extra just sitting around. You can buy a diff cover that holds a bit more gear oil and has some cooling fins, and best of all it will have a fill plug and drain plug. No more taking the sticking cover off to change the gear oil. Just an idea.

As for the front axle? Since a normal driver doesn't use his 4wheel drive system very often, there is really not a need for synthetic gear oil. I normal dino 75W-90 will do just fine. Now if you use your 4wheel drive system often,for long periods of time? I would consider a 75W-90 synthetic.
Wood's Powerstroke likes this.

2001 F250 XLT CC 4X4 AUTO SWB
{295K miles}.
Donaldson AIS Intake w/ZooDad
4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust.
DieselSite By-Pass Coolant Filter/{ELC}&RMI-25
DieselSite By-Pass Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
Delete Mods-->{Foil & AIH}
203*{T-Stat}w/Billet Housing
SS HPX line-CCV{to atmosphere}
Marinco Heater Plug
Oil-->T6 5W-40 w/Amsoil Filter

Last edited by SyN; 04-15-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Brain Fart!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Needs more hours per day

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyN View Post
Schaeffers makes a superior product as well, but I don't think they produce a 75W-140.
Shaeffer's does actually make a full synthetic 75-140: http://www.schaefferoil.com/167_gear_oil.html The downside to this is the smallest quantity you can buy it in is a 5 gallon bucket. Unless you have several trucks or some buddies who are willing to split a bucket, that's way more than most people will need. I got lucky and ended up being able to split a bucket with another guy local to me.

Jeremy
2000 F-350, CCLB, SRW, 4x4, '04 5.9 Common Rail Cummins Conversion
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans
Eventually: Compound Turbos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
peterbilt'in

okay, thats for the info guys. ill deff do the mobil 1, forgot about my connection at auto zone.. ha ha (sometimes it's good to be friends with your x gf's) so 80-140 for the rear... 80-90 front.

does anyone have the specks for the rear diff? or should i ask in another forum?

i had read interesting things... could be a 10.25 or a 10.50... but there the same except the 10.50 has 3 spider gears inside and the 10.25 has 2.???

can anyone clarify that for me?? and also if anyone knows the specks for Ring & Pinion backlash, side to side end play, Ring gear run out.

and also does the carrier use shims for backlash and end play? or does it have adjuster nuts like the bigger dana/spicer & Rockwell axles?

ive got 11 days till i will have a chance to get into the job... and have 1 day to complete it.

thanks

-Rob

2002 F350 extended cab XLT, 4x4 auto,194K mi @ 10/25/13, ELF7405, DP F5, ultra light gauges, all kinds of "improvements" Yukon Grizzly locker 6K helper springs, x code fronts. 2 Y2K jetta Tdi. RC2 tuned
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Freedom is not free

I wasn't to happy about the Royal Purple UOA results on the rear diff of my F-250. Only 33K miles and the fluid broke down to a 90 weight. The sample definitely wasn't purple anymore.....more like dark brown. I have Schaeffer's 75W-140 in there now with the Mag-Hytec diff cover. A few more trips to South Dakota and I will have 33K on it for a comparison. After that I might give Redline a try. Redline's products contain polyol ester base stocks, provides excellent high temperature stability and film strength.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode