Valvoline’s Premium Blue Engine Oil question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
peterbilt'in

Valvoline’s Premium Blue Engine Oil question

hey yall

about due for another oil change, i've always used Rotella 15-40 in anything diesel. Anyways from what ive been reading it's not the "best" and has NO molyem whats'er that i know is good for the lubricant property. Does the premium blue 15-40 contain it and would be a upstep from the rotella?

i cant afford the 5-40 synthetic Valvoline until i graduate and doing the math out...30$ gallon x 4 gallons... plus 10 for a filter.. i cant swing that much.

Or, Rotella 5-40 Synthetic is about 19 a gallon.. probably still be better then the dino oil??

the truck has just 140-150K miles, and my driving would be considered "severe" so i change oil every 3-4K miles. (warm up for a few, drive 2 miles, shut off... warm up.. drive 2 miles.. shut off, Trip home 10-13 hours continuous driving and around 700 miles)

still trying to learn more about oil, but i dont trust the mfg's websites and there malarky and the greatest trick ever... FULL & FULLY synthetic.

thanks
2002 7.3 auto

-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Valvoline’s Premium Blue Engine Oil question

I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 on my 6.0 i like it, better than Rotella, im like you though lol i cant afford the 5w-40 either. Hope this helps.

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Theres a thread where I switched from 15w40 rotella to the valvoline blue sythetic. I flat love the stuff.

Will never go back. Before at 2500 miles or so I could tell it wasnt far till oil change time with the rotella. Now Im at 3700 miles or so on the valvoline and its running great still. Going to run it for awhile longer to see how much farther I can go on it compared to the rotella. If I can get 6000 miles out of it then its the same price to run it vs the rotella. If I can go 10,000 miles then Im actually saving money.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
peterbilt'in

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
Theres a thread where I switched from 15w40 rotella to the valvoline blue sythetic. I flat love the stuff.

Will never go back. Before at 2500 miles or so I could tell it wasnt far till oil change time with the rotella. Now Im at 3700 miles or so on the valvoline and its running great still. Going to run it for awhile longer to see how much farther I can go on it compared to the rotella. If I can get 6000 miles out of it then its the same price to run it vs the rotella. If I can go 10,000 miles then Im actually saving money.
Wow, thats impressive, shooting for 10K miles. due to my driving i dont go normally past 4K at the most. even with my old car, 06 focus zx3 5 speed running mobil 1 5-20 fully synthetic i would only go 4K miles.
anyways, untill i graduate and get a good job.. i cant convince my financial aid souse.. (farther) for.. 140ish for an oil change. but i can get probably 100 because he did fleet mant. years and years ago on big rigs.

is the Non Synthetic still beat out the rotella with the additive package?

and is the oil blue??? i've never actually seen the oil other then jug at autozone.

i cant wait to get out of college! LoL

thanks for the info.

-Rob.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Vtec

no the oil is not blue, but if you get a deal on it great!!!!!!!!

But if you don't have alot of money then go with Schaeffer's or CenPeCo

i don't know the price on CenPeCo but its good stuff i heard.

Schaeffers is about 18 19 bucks a gallon for Syn i beleave.

And no one really can talk down about there oil that ive seen.

just a thought.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
peterbilt'in

i dont know how much of a great deal... the 15-40 is the non synthetic, and about 14$ a gallon or so? where as the galon jugs of rotella are about 10.50$ agallon. and a 5 gallon is 53$

but, is the additive package in the valvoline better then the rotella's??

thanks
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 PM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

This is what I'm wondering too. Out of conventional Valvoline or the Synthetic Rotella, which is better??

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 02:26 AM
PSN Veteran

I don't understand the complaints about Rotella. I use it in all of my trucks. So far my oil reports are far superior at 8k, than some of these high $ oil report I have seen posted on here.

01' F250 PSD CC 4x4, GTP38R, Hi-Flow outlet, DI Bellowed up-pipes, BTS Hpop, DI Regulated return, ITP Annilator, AM 3pod, AFE PG7 Stage II, Silverline 4in T-Back, 6.0 Trans cooler, Dp F5, BTS Trans, True-Trac 3.73, Powerslot Cryo, Rotella ELC, Nitto Terra 285/75/16E on Alcoa wheels
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 AM
Caption This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque37 View Post
I don't understand the complaints about Rotella. I use it in all of my trucks. So far my oil reports are far superior at 8k, than some of these high $ oil report I have seen posted on here.
You have to remember that most are talking about what they think. What the engine thinks is something totally different.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 AM
Exploding the magma

If you have a Cummins service station near you, the 5W40 synthetic is like 21 bucks a gallon. Not exactly a bargain but good oil.

2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 7.3 4R100
6637 203* t-stat 08 diff cover Stancor HPX 6.0 trans cooler, Zone offroad leveling kit, Western UM 8'6" plow

Sold: 2004.5 Ram 2500 w/ 5.9 CTD, Reg Cab 48re

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode