Oil Bypass filter kits - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753
Oil Bypass filter kits

I am really looking to get one and just curious who runs what and what they think of the kit and how well it works. I am hoping to get one in the near future and use one of the UOA places, most likely Blackstone to get analysis done. Main thing I want it for is to extend change intervals. I would like to get at least 10k if not a little more out of the oil. Also with the bypass I am hoping to switch to the Valvoline 5w-40 synthetic. So between the new synthetic and a bypass kit I would like to get 10k+ or so as long as the analysis says it is ok.

Is the FS-2500 worth the extra money over an amsoil kit?
For the amsoil does anyone run the single filter or the dual filter setup, how do you like it?
Did your kit come complete with everything to install or did you need to get different hoses or connections? and which kit?

School me on anything I need to know, been trying to read as much as I can but now just looking for personal experience or second hand experience on the kits and what works and what doesn't, thanks in advanced.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Freedom is not free

Re: Oil Bypass filter kits

I've had the Amsoil dual bypass and now have the Oilguard Bypass on my 7.3L. The previous version of the Amsoil dual bypass had some issues & problems but the single bypass seems to be doing well.

I prefer the oilguard since the kit came with everything needed for a complete & clean install on the 7.3L. Plus the filter housing is quite bullet proof. When I first purchased the Amsoil Dual bypass kit it did not come with everything needed to install, I had to purchse additional 90 degree fittings to make it work. I have no experience with the FS but there are many folks that run it with good oil analysis results.

I run Schaeffer's series 7000 15W-40 synthetic Blend ($16 per gallon)with the oilguard bypass system and have had excellent UOA results. I go about 8K between changed, with the series 9000 5W-40($18 per gallon) you can go 10K+ with an oil analysis. I definitely would not recommend going over 5K without doing a used oil analysis, untill you build up some historical results. Blackstone, Wearcheck & Schaeffer's are commonly used on this site - I like Schaeffer's since they only charge $9 a kit when you purchase a case of 6. In addition, the postage is prepaid on the UOA container. Just take the sample and shove it in the mail - no extra postage.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Freedom is not free

Also,

Here is Springer POP's DIY kit. He has had very good UOA results with it. Parts ran him about $100.

http://springerpop.net/F350/lube_bypass.html

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
6Leaker

Oilguard, I knew I was forgetting one. Thanks for the info, on the kits, I will take a good look at the oilguard setup.

Main reason I want to do this obviously engine life but to me changing 15qts every 5k is insane, I used to do that on my gassers and they were only 4-6qts. I know these diesels are requiring more work from the oil than a gasser but still just seems crazy to me to be changing that much oil so soon. My dads 7.3L book recommends 7.5K I believe which seems a bit more reasonable to me.

I have read a lot good about the Schaeffer's stuff and I really like the setup they have for the analysis. Only thing holding me back from it is I can't just run to a store and pick some up if I need some, plus I have always been a valvoline fan, even when Mark Martin was driving their car lol.

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Freedom is not free

Just some additional info,

You can have Schaeffer's delivered right to your house. They offer free shipping with orders over $350. If you like to stack up on the oil or buy some oil, transmission fluid and/or diesl fuel additive you can take advantage of the free shipping. All depends on your preference.

What is Valvoline 5W-40 now, $33 a gallon? A close second to Schaeffer's on many UOA reports are Delo 400 and Rotella 5W-40 syn.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
6Leaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Buffalo View Post
Also,

Here is Springer POP's DIY kit. He has had very good UOA results with it. Parts ran him about $100.

http://springerpop.net/F350/lube_bypass.html
You must have been typing while I was lol, this looks very good as well.

Another thing I was wondering, most of the 6.0L kits I see use a billet oil filter cap, can this same cap be used for both the bypass filter as well as hooking up an oil pressure gauge?

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
My dads 7.3L book recommends 7.5K I believe which seems a bit more reasonable to me.
All depends on the oil. I have seen plenty of UOA reports that show Rotella 15W-40 shear down the viscosity to a 30 weight way before 7,500. Especially in chipped trucks since the HPOP can easily hit 3,000 psi and shear the oil.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:12 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
You must have been typing while I was lol, this looks very good as well.

Another thing I was wondering, most of the 6.0L kits I see use a billet oil filter cap, can this same cap be used for both the bypass filter as well as hooking up an oil pressure gauge?
I have a tee off of my bypass cap, I use one side for an oil temp sensor, the other is the line to the:

- oil pressure gauge sensor
- 1/4" ball valve so I can turn off the bypass filter flow
- Amsoil bypass filter mount and filter.

Cliff notes: Yes.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Not sure about that one, maybee someone smarter on this will chime in...

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
6Leaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Buffalo View Post
All depends on the oil. I have seen plenty of UOA reports that show Rotella 15W-40 shear down the viscosity to a 30 weight way before 7,500. Especially in chipped trucks since the HPOP can easily hit 3,000 psi and shear the oil.
He has been using standard valvoline oil for as long as he has had the truck, and its been bone stock all its life, but sounds like he is going to have to change the oil in his 6.0L more often than with the 7.3L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albin View Post
I have a tee off of my bypass cap, I use one side for an oil temp sensor, the other is the line to the:

- oil pressure gauge sensor
- 1/4" ball valve so I can turn off the bypass filter flow
- Amsoil bypass filter mount and filter.

Cliff notes: Yes.
Great, sounds like the perfect way to set it up. Is the ball valve to make changing the bypass filter easier? or is there a different reason behind adding in the ball valve?

seems this is the thread where everyone is about 1 post behind lol, someone is probably posting right now while I am typing.

Thanks again for the help guys, hopefully soon enough I can get something all setup.

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in