Different Brands of Diesel - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Different Brands of Diesel

is there a difference at all between where you buy your diesel (Shell, Sunoco, Citgo, Exxon/Mobile, ect.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
<----Colin Banks

Re: Different Brands of Diesel

A few years ago I got much better fuel when I went to Arizona than what I usually got here in SoCAL. But the last year or so it has not been that much difference in the two. I just prefer to buy from a place that has a lot of trucks getting fuel so I know it is fresh. I fuel at Unical 76 90% of the time.

><>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK- Tuned by DI

2013 F250 4x4 CCLB Platinum Edition
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
PSN Veteran

Around here, my boss claims to get a mile better with BP.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Edward Scissorhand WanaB

Around here at my local fuel stations the BP/Amoco pump has a cetane rating of 47 and the Shell has a cetane rating of 40. My local Shell gets there diesel from Quarles petroleum. I have an account with Quarles petroleum and get my 1000 gal tank topped off twice a month from them for my work trucks. My tickets always read product 40 ULSD.

So would a product with a higher cetane rating have a better combustion ratio as a lower cetane rating?

The real kicker would be if the BP/Amoco pump sticker read 47 cetane but the supplier was only buying 40 cetane.

I would rather buy a 47 cetane fuel but don't want to pay for it price wise and only get a 40 cetane product for the price of a 47 cetane rated product.

"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

2000 F-250 Lariat, CC, 4x4, LWB,
A few mods to make it better than stock.
250cc hybrids, Stealth stage II HPOP, H-11 Headstuds, Strickly Diesel Reg. Return Fuel, Spearco 6.0 IC, Garrett 38r 1.15 hsg, BTS transmission, Gearhead Tuning
"The Smoke Don't Mean Its Broke"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfromct View Post
is there a difference at all between where you buy your diesel (Shell, Sunoco, Citgo, Exxon/Mobile, ect.)
No its all the same stuff thay intermingle alot.

06 F350 CC LB 4x4 with a few odds and ends
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Diesel junkie!!!

Not sure about all the technical jib jab. I know my rig sure runs better on $2.20 fuel compared to $5.00 stuff.....

Jon
2012 F-350 4x4 CC/SB Tuxedo Black Metallic: ENJOYING
2001 F-350 4x4 LB/SC Red 6-speed: SOLD
2004 Jetta TDI: DAILY DRIVER
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:20 AM
That thing got a Cummins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc01 View Post
Not sure about all the technical jib jab. I know my rig sure runs better on $2.20 fuel compared to $5.00 stuff.....

Ford makes it
, I break it

1996 F350 CCLB 4x4 Broke Built Auto

2000 Dodge 3500 5 Speed 4x4 450k and Counting

2001 Dodge 3500 6 speed 4x4 Fully loaded
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
PSN Newb

I like to fuel up at places that sell lots of fuel like at my local truck stop, exspecially during the winter months. I use to fuel up at just a local gas station that sells diesel but once I started going to the truck stop I noticed a 1 to 2 MPG increase over the gas station I was fueling up at. My truck stop is usually 5 to 10 cents more a gallon, but I find it a small price to pay knowing how important the quality of diesel fuel can be when running it in our trucks.

04 F-250 6.0 Powerstroke
MBRP 4" turbo back no cat
DiabloSport Predator Programmer (biggest waste of money)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfromct View Post
Yes. Refineries use different processes/methods to make diesel fuel. The end result is it must meet specifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwakd View Post
So would a product with a higher cetane rating have a better combustion ratio as a lower cetane rating?
Cetane number is a measure of a fuel's ignition delay; the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. Higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels.

Diesels engines run well with a cetane rating from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number have shorter ignition delays and provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesels operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance advantage when the cetane is raised past approximately 55. After that the fuel's performance hits a plateau. In the States, diesel at the pump can be found in two ranges: 38-42 for regular diesel, and 42-45 for premium. Premium diesel may have additives to improve cetane and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical & seasonal needs.

In addition, lower cetane diesel fuels can yield more difficult starts in cold weather and at higher altitudes.

In Europe, diesel cetane numbers are set at a minimum cetane index of 46.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, part of my job is oil analysis & fuel analysis.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Edward Scissorhand WanaB

Thanks,
Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Buffalo View Post
Yes. Refineries use different processes/methods to make diesel fuel. The end result is it must meet specifications.

Cetane number is a measure of a fuel's ignition delay; the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. Higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels.

Diesels engines run well with a cetane rating from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number have shorter ignition delays and provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesels operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance advantage when the cetane is raised past approximately 55. After that the fuel's performance hits a plateau. In the States, diesel at the pump can be found in two ranges: 38-42 for regular diesel, and 42-45 for premium. Premium diesel may have additives to improve cetane and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical & seasonal needs.

In addition, lower cetane diesel fuels can yield more difficult starts in cold weather and at higher altitudes.

In Europe, diesel cetane numbers are set at a minimum cetane index of 46.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, part of my job is oil analysis & fuel analysis.

"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

2000 F-250 Lariat, CC, 4x4, LWB,
A few mods to make it better than stock.
250cc hybrids, Stealth stage II HPOP, H-11 Headstuds, Strickly Diesel Reg. Return Fuel, Spearco 6.0 IC, Garrett 38r 1.15 hsg, BTS transmission, Gearhead Tuning
"The Smoke Don't Mean Its Broke"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode