Disperses vs. Seperate water in fuel? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Disperses vs. Seperate water in fuel?

On the Power Service bottle is says "Disperses water in fuel"

Does that make the fuel filter/water seperator less efficient and allow moisture into the combustion chamber?

Whats better:
disperse the water in fuel before fuel/water seperator with PS
or
sepearate the water in fuel before fuel/water seperator with Stanadyne

Thanks,
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: Disperses vs. Seperate water in fuel?

asked the same question on www.tdiclub.com
used to have a TDI and still lurk around there

someone who really knows their stuff said
"Using Power Service in a vehicle with a proper separator makes NO sense. Stick with the Stanadyne for the Powerstroke. You will pull off more water."

the thread is at http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=232821
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

no one wants to discuss?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Caterpillar Service Tech

I'm no expert but here is my thinking. Yes if you have a fuel water separator you shouldn't have to worry about the water if it is a gravity feed system from the bottom of the tank. The reason I say this is because the water can work its way down the to filter because it is feeding from the bottom. In my opinion the dispersing of water is need in tanks like in our pickups because they feed from the top and you could get a bunch of water in the bottom of the tank that isn't going to get drawn into the filter unless you get a lot of water in the tank. The dispersing of water is more to prevent our fuel tank from rusting out.

Hows that sound? Makes sense to me anyways.
Chris

2002 F350 CC 4x4
144000 miles and going
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
In my opinion the dispersing of water is need in tanks like in our pickups because they feed from the top and you could get a bunch of water in the bottom of the tank that isn't going to get drawn into the filter unless you get a lot of water in the tank. The dispersing of water is more to prevent our fuel tank from rusting out.
Im not trying to be an a$$ or anything but none of that makes any sence to me.... maybe Im confused tho....

How could our tanks "feed from the top"?
The pickup tube is in the bottom of the tank.....if it was on the top.... how would the truck get any fuel with less than a full tank?

And our tanks (mine at least) are plastic.

Ive always heard emulsified water is bad and to let the water seperator do its job.

-Shawn Collister #16

-2002 F250 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" Magnaflow, AIS, Vegistroke, ScanGauge, AC's tuned by Swamps

-2003 F450 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" exhaust, Alcoas, Air ride, AIS, Garrett 38R, X-monitor
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Caterpillar Service Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa450 View Post
How could our tanks "feed from the top"?
The pickup tube is in the bottom of the tank.....if it was on the top.... how would the truck get any fuel with less than a full tank?
What is was trying to say is that the pickup tube is not on the very bottom of the tank. Most of the the ones i have seen the tube is a quarter to half an inch from the bottom of the tank. Correct me if i am wrong, I haven't had a fuel tank out of one of this pickups before. And for the record, some of the OBS fords had metal tanks.

2002 F350 CC 4x4
144000 miles and going
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 01:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Here is what Power Research (makers of PRI-D diesel treatment) says about water in fuel.

Quote:
Q: Does PRI-D eliminate water from fuel?

A: PRI-D only absorbs small amounts of tank condensation that can occur over a several day period. However, PRI-D does not absorb large amounts of water into fuel. Using a fuel treatment chemistry to absorb large amounts of water is not a good idea. Large amounts of water absorbed in fuel can severely damage fuel injectors and fuel injector pumps. It is better to remove water by either draining the tank or by using special water removal filtration systems.
http://www.priproducts.com/pridfaqs.htm

Thats pretty much what Ive heard in the past, as well.

-Shawn Collister #16

-2002 F250 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" Magnaflow, AIS, Vegistroke, ScanGauge, AC's tuned by Swamps

-2003 F450 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" exhaust, Alcoas, Air ride, AIS, Garrett 38R, X-monitor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode