Oil testing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Oil testing

Where and how do I get my oil tested? How oftern do you guys get yours tested.

2004 f350 6.0L psd 4x4 6spd cc sb dark shadow gray, sct tuned by eric, 6" ICON 20x12 centerline, 35x13.5 mickey t atz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 02:20 AM

Re: Oil testing

Blackstone Labs
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 02:40 AM
PSN Veteran

They will sent you a free sample kit.

I did my first on my last oil change(5000 mile), and I plan on doing my next at 6000 miles when I change the oil again.

My TBN, Total Base number, what very good meaning that the oil has not become acidic and the life of the oil can be extended.

They will give you a written recommendation based on your results as well.

2003 F-350 4x4 SC 7.3, WOP QSSB Turbo, Isspro Gauges, MBRP 4 inch, AFE Stage II, , DP Tuned Stock, HI, 40t, 60t, 80t, 80e, 120R, 140ex, 6.0 Trans Cooler, 08 Tow Mirrors, 35in Kumho Mts

1993 International 4600 Dump, 7.3 IDI

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Needs more hours per day

If you've got a Schaeffer's rep near you, their test kits are only $9 and postage is pre-paid. You do have to pay for the kits upfront though. However, at under 1/2 the cost of a Blackstone kit (almost 1/3 once you add in postage you have to pay with Blackstone), it's worth it, IMO.

I sample my oil at every drain, unless I'm going for an extended drain interval, then I'll sample a little bit between changes, at every 4K-5K.

Jeremy
2000 F-350, CCLB, SRW, 4x4, '04 5.9 Common Rail Cummins Conversion
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans
Eventually: Compound Turbos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I aready ordered blackstones kit. I pre paid for the 6 pack. Thanks for the info though. I'll have to look into that after I use the stuff from blackstone.

2004 f350 6.0L psd 4x4 6spd cc sb dark shadow gray, sct tuned by eric, 6" ICON 20x12 centerline, 35x13.5 mickey t atz
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Funrunner99

Any hints on finding a Schaeffer's rep?? I am in the Sacramento, CA area.

1997 F350 Regency Crew Cab Dually 7.3, Auto with Baumann deep finned aluminum pan, K&N filter, DJM 3" front drop Dream Beams & rear hanger & shackle kit, 3" downpipe, 4" MBRP Single Exhaust out to 5" tip. 3 pod pillar mount with Autometer Pyro, Trans Temp & Boost guages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TT 306, Tremec TKO 600 5 spd, lots of fun!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Needs more hours per day

Best bet it to call their home office and ask for a rep closest to you. Make sure you specify that you need a rep, and not a retail location. Their number is Toll Free: (800) 325-9962, from their website. http://www.schaefferoil.com/

Jeremy
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:56 AM
Funrunner99

Thanks for the info JT, will look into that. Bought my '97 truck with only 63K on it earlier this year which I hope will turn out to be a good thing. But I have had to replace a couple items that seemed a little unusual for a low mileage vehicle. Not everything on these trucks, or any vehicle I guess like to sit around too much! Think I will check the oil just to be safe. Why do you guys do it so often though??? Every oil change seems a little over the top?? But if it's only $10 or so I guess it might save some $$ down the road if you caught something.

1997 F350 Regency Crew Cab Dually 7.3, Auto with Baumann deep finned aluminum pan, K&N filter, DJM 3" front drop Dream Beams & rear hanger & shackle kit, 3" downpipe, 4" MBRP Single Exhaust out to 5" tip. 3 pod pillar mount with Autometer Pyro, Trans Temp & Boost guages.

TT 306, Tremec TKO 600 5 spd, lots of fun!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDnate View Post
I aready ordered blackstones kit. I pre paid for the 6 pack. Thanks for the info though. I'll have to look into that after I use the stuff from blackstone.
Wait you ordered blackstones test kits and paid for them? I requested they send me two kits when I sent my sample in, a week went by and nothing came and I happened to call them, while I was on the phone I requested two more.

A few days later I had four kits in my hand, and I still do right now, all for free

2003 F-350 4x4 SC 7.3, WOP QSSB Turbo, Isspro Gauges, MBRP 4 inch, AFE Stage II, , DP Tuned Stock, HI, 40t, 60t, 80t, 80e, 120R, 140ex, 6.0 Trans Cooler, 08 Tow Mirrors, 35in Kumho Mts

1993 International 4600 Dump, 7.3 IDI
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 AM
Needs more hours per day

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrunner99 View Post
Why do you guys do it so often though??? Every oil change seems a little over the top?? But if it's only $10 or so I guess it might save some $$ down the road if you caught something.
It probably is over the top, but I just like to know what's going on at all times with the engine. It helps to establish trends so if the readings start to change, I'll have something to compare it to. It can also help to catch a problem before it might get out of hand, like finding fuel dilution or coolant in the oil. May not be showing any signs of it while running, but things could be starting to go wrong and you could catch it before major damage is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakster View Post
Wait you ordered blackstones test kits and paid for them? I requested they send me two kits when I sent my sample in, a week went by and nothing came and I happened to call them, while I was on the phone I requested two more.

A few days later I had four kits in my hand, and I still do right now, all for free
Blackstone does offer the option to pre-pay for their kits. Most just opt for the free kit though and pay for it when the sample is sent in.

Jeremy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode