Delco400 or MotorCraft Synthetic Oil ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Delco400 or MotorCraft Synthetic Oil ?

My first post, cannot believe how much knowledge and info is here (and how much I don't know).

I will be reading/learning more here but need a quick answer to the Delco400 or MotorCraft Synthetic Oil question as I am getting an oil change this week.

My truck is a stock 2000 4x4 7.3 Powerstoke Excursion with 109K miles. I had changed oil every 5K miles and now due to some medical reasons cannot change the oil. I live in the SF Bay Area (neither cold nor hot) and typically drive it around town at least once a week but during summer/fall it takes several long road trips into the mountians (full with gear/people but not hauling) and some limited 4WD use.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Re: Delco400 or MotorCraft Synthetic Oil ?

It's DELO Not Delco ( auto correct?)

and they have more than 1 type of 400

Engine Oils, Synthetic Motor Oil, Delo 400 LE, SAE 15W-40 - Delo - (United States)

I am going to try the Delo 5-40 syn next time ,, isn't the motorcraft a Blend? EDIT looks like they have both now

Quote:
Fuel Economy Product Line

Delo 400 LE SAE 10W-30
Delo 400 LE SAE 5W-30

Other Premium Delo Products

Delo 400 NG SAE 15W-40
Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 (API CJ-4)
Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 (API CI-4 PLUS)
Delo 400 SAE 10W, 20, 30, 40, 50
Delo 400 Synthetic SAE 0W-30
Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-40 (API CJ-4)

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hey Zman - sorry about the misspelling. BTW MotorCraft is capitalized and using a double comma is frowned upon. While you did not however help in my original question, the detail about your truck is facinating.

My daily driver is a 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe RPO-Z06 Fuelie, 327-360 hp, 4 speed, numbers matching. optioned with power brakes, 3.70 posi, Z06 heavy duty metallic brakes with finned drums and air scoops, Z06 special heavy duty suspension, AM/FM radio, fuel injection, 2 sets of wheels/tires and 1963 hubcaps and 1963 license plates.

Thanks for the attempt to help though.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Administrator

The Delco thing is a common mispronunciation
so Just Clarifying in case you went calling around to find some Delo

People fill out the vehicle descriptions on these forums because it can Help folks Either help you when a problem arises or if they need info on any of the Modifications

sounds like Quite a Vet

and I dbl checked motorcraft doesn't care if I don't capitalize as long as I spend My money on their products

as far as the double comma frown away it's common on these forums ,,,, used as a pause

but in the end you asked about two oils but never specified what version of the oils you were considering

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I must have been thinking Delco radios - had no idea there were so many Delo 400's - I used the Delo 400 Costco sold. If I had to guess it was the Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 - that looks very familiar in reading all the ones you outlined. Wondering if there is any benefit going to the MotorCraft Synthetic over the Delo Dino. Thanks.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeExcursion View Post
BTW MotorCraft is capitalized
FYI the c in Motorcraft isn't capitalized I am frowning on that

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Administrator

I think the Chevron Delo is a Great oil I wonder Who makes the Motorcraft ?

Delco is such a houshold term that is why Delo is commonly refereed to as Delco I imagine ?

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Apparently a lot of Mystery around Who Makes Fords Oil ?

most popular answer so far seems to Be Conoco-Phillips
but those were old post so IDK

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hmmm, Poke-Poke . . . . I am thinking the synthetic oil can't hurt it and may help a bit, but hate to think I am paying a premium (a third more) for nothing.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator

I almost have to run synthetic with My truck due to stiction issue that can happen with Dino oils

your 7.3 isn't nearly as finicky

I would be on the fence about the extra money for a full syn or just shop early and look for a good deal ( I should take My own advice)
I paid 26 bucks for a gallon x4 last time for Rotella T6 full Syn

another thing I don't know if you've read very few oils are full syn

Mobil 1 was and they sued Castrol for their claim that they were full syn

Mobil lost and went and used the same cheaper non synthetic base stock that Castrol had been using
as do many others except a few like Amsoil, Redline and a few others

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode