Transfer Case Fluid. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S
Transfer Case Fluid.

Is there any reason not to use Mobile One ATF that meets the Mercon V spec? All these changes to the ATF fluid specs make things way too confusing.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:06 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Re: Transfer Case Fluid.

Your going to get the yeah its great for everything under the sun and no you need to use factory fluids before this is over with.

But Id try it and if the trans acts funny change back quick. Ive switched mobile one out for a bunch of stuff but I have had problems with it in some vehicles Ive tried it in. Usually the shifting would be off or it seemed to slip. Changed fluid and it went to working fine.

Havent tried to sub it in a ford trans though.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:32 AM
< YOU WISH...

Works just fine. Seemed to quiet the chain chatter in 4wd down some also. Didn't notice any change when I ran amsoil, but the Mobil 1 was def. smoother sounding.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:34 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
Your going to get the yeah its great for everything under the sun and no you need to use factory fluids before this is over with.

But Id try it and if the trans acts funny change back quick. Ive switched mobile one out for a bunch of stuff but I have had problems with it in some vehicles Ive tried it in. Usually the shifting would be off or it seemed to slip. Changed fluid and it went to working fine.

Havent tried to sub it in a ford trans though.
Oops I saw trans when you were talking about the tcase

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Ive always used Mobil1 or Schaeffers ATF in the T-case of all my trucks.

-Shawn Collister #16

-2002 F250 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" Magnaflow, AIS, Vegistroke, ScanGauge, AC's tuned by Swamps

-2003 F450 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" exhaust, Alcoas, Air ride, AIS, Garrett 38R, X-monitor
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:36 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Is there any reason not to use Mobile One ATF that meets the Mercon V spec? All these changes to the ATF fluid specs make things way too confusing.

Tom
Thats what I have in mine Tom, works great, no worrys in the TC at all.

Tim

2006 Dodge 2500 MegaCab, 4x4, Auto, 5.9L CTD

SOLD-2001 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 auto, 207,000 miles, linex, DP tuner 40T, 80E, 120R. 3.5 inch DP/4 inch exhaust. ATS housing. AFE stage 1, Hutch and Harpooned, HV IDM. V-10 transmission cooler. Medium build transmission. Baby terminator single HPOP, Turbomaster wastegate, 1.0 exhaust housing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I put it in today. I see Motorcraft has a special transfer case oil nowdays.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 03:49 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I put it in today. I see Motorcraft has a special transfer case oil nowdays.

Tom
what is it? i know this is off topic for this board but gm has a tsb that states we should use motor oil in our transfer case, even though gm filled them with atf from the factory. they say the t/c builds too much heat and vaporizes atf. i have mobil 1 10/30 in my dmax t/c.
i would definitely run synthetic atf in the t/c on a ford!

02 dmax cc dually 4wd "miss piggy" tow bitch, afe pr7, magnaflow, Kennedy lift pump, dual rail mount filters, PPE tunes
00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
ats comp housing,bdp 1.0 exhaust,afe pr7,4in turbo back magnaflow,hx cross,di regulated return,bbha,dp hi,40,80e,120r,6.oh no cooler autometer gauges, dual rail mount filters
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 PM
SyN
Lubrication Addict!!

This was an old thread...But I had a very interesting conversation with a couple of PSD owners who hotshot across the state 24/7...One drives a 03 7.3L other drives an 05 6.0L...

They started their own company together...Anyway...They began to talk to me about the fluids that they run...They arrived at the transfer case and told me they switched from synthetic ATF to synthetic 5W-20 motor... For the simple fact they both tow alot in 4WD due to the muddy oil field roads and locations...which sometimes from the highway to location can range from 1 mile to 25 miles...

They stated the transfer case would have all kinds of issues due to the towing heavy loads for long periods of time with the ATF... I didn't really ask what kind of issues... didn't really care... They started asking questions and was told to switch to a synthetic 5W-20 motor oil and the issues would go away... It would handle the heat and lubricate better...

To make a long story short...They switched to the 5W-20 4yrs ago and have never had a transfer case issue again...

I am not brave enough to do this... Have any of you heard of doing this or have done this..???

2001 F250 XLT CC 4X4 AUTO SWB
{295K miles}.
Donaldson AIS Intake w/ZooDad
4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust.
DieselSite By-Pass Coolant Filter/{ELC}&RMI-25
DieselSite By-Pass Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
Delete Mods-->{Foil & AIH}
203*{T-Stat}w/Billet Housing
SS HPX line-CCV{to atmosphere}
Marinco Heater Plug
Oil-->T6 5W-40 w/Amsoil Filter
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Exploding the magma

Well IIRC the viscosity of Mercon and Mercon V put it in the range of 5w-20 or 0w-20 motor so I don't see that being an issue. IIRC Allison did spec a motor oil as acceptable to put in their older trans.

I have Supertech Dex/Merc in my 4R100 and x-case...seems to work fine for me and at like $11-12 bucks a gallon is cheap enough.

2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 7.3 4R100
6637 203* t-stat 08 diff cover Stancor HPX 6.0 trans cooler, Zone offroad leveling kit, Western UM 8'6" plow

Sold: 2004.5 Ram 2500 w/ 5.9 CTD, Reg Cab 48re

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode