centrifuge vs filtration for WMO - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

centrifuge vs filtration for WMO

Does anyone have any knowledge of the pros and cons of one system over the other ? I have a friend who has filtered his oil and then run it thru a centrifuge. This oil was leaving some deposits in the centrifuge so this makes me think that this may be the best way to go.
Does anyone have any insight as I burn about 100 gallons of diesel weekly and would like to go with a 50/50 mix to cut fuel expenses.

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:53 PM
PSN Local

Re: centrifuge vs filtration for WMO

Centrifuge can filter the oil much better than a paper filter. In lay mans terms it is basically a super filter.
So if you want the oil as clean as possible then centrifuge it. Otherwise find a 2 micron fuel filter and run the oil thru it.
Biggest question is how clean do you want the oil and how much are you willing to spend on making it clean. Centrifuges are at a minimum 400.00 bucks. Some much more......

2006 Dodge 2500 MegaCab, 4x4, Auto, 5.9L CTD

SOLD-2001 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 auto, 207,000 miles, linex, DP tuner 40T, 80E, 120R. 3.5 inch DP/4 inch exhaust. ATS housing. AFE stage 1, Hutch and Harpooned, HV IDM. V-10 transmission cooler. Medium build transmission. Baby terminator single HPOP, Turbomaster wastegate, 1.0 exhaust housing.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I would like the oil to be as clean as practically possible. The centrifuge I am looking at is a simplecentrifuge brand-www.simplecentrifuge.com. This unit goes for $2,275 for a turnkey ready to go product including shipping. As I will be filtering at least 50 gallons of WMO per week this would potentially save Me over 10,000 dollars per year so the initial investment will come back in about 3 months.
Looking at it from this point of view the cost does not seem to be bad at all.

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
PSN Veteran

i filter then centrifuge. you'd be amazed at how much crap is left in the oil after filtering. my centrifuge also removes any water thats in the oil.

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Just asking to learn. Why do you filter first, it would seem that the particles that were filtered out would be some of the first items stuck to the wall of the centrifuge?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 PM
PSN Veteran

I want a centrifuge for wvo.... I dont want to spend $2200 tho

-Shawn Collister #16

-2002 F250 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" Magnaflow, AIS, Vegistroke, ScanGauge, AC's tuned by Swamps

-2003 F450 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" exhaust, Alcoas, Air ride, AIS, Garrett 38R, X-monitor
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

there are others out there that are less expensive but if you do your homework you will get what you pay for. I sure dont have a lot of answers but it seems as this one is hard to beat.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:02 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantrellc123 View Post
Just asking to learn. Why do you filter first, it would seem that the particles that were filtered out would be some of the first items stuck to the wall of the centrifuge?
because my centrifuge is not a self cleaning unit. the more particles the more i have to shut down and clean it. Also some of the food particles are probably too big to even go through the centrifuge. I have some industrial bag filters so i can filter it faster than i can run it through the centrifuge.

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 AM
PSN Veteran

For you guys really interested in a centrifuge check out WVO Designs. Leon Griffin is making a turnkey unit that uses the Simple Centrifuge bowl and supplies a turnkey system for about $1k less than the Simple Centrifuge turnkey. I bought one on a pre order for a grand. It should be shipping any day now. Great deal for basically the same thing as the SimpleC.

Deceased Member RIP Mitch the PSN crew

05 F250 Harley Davidson long bed, Airaid CAI, CFM+ Largemouth in CF with pipe kit, zoodad mod, 4" turbo back Magnaflow duals with kitty delete and 6" tips, Edge Insight monitor with EGT, SCT with tunes by Eric; DJ's billet oil filter cap feeding a Gulf Coast bypass filter, 275/65/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 03 turbo whistling a happy tune.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 PM
PSN Veteran

I saw that a few months ago......looks interesting

-Shawn Collister #16

-2002 F250 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" Magnaflow, AIS, Vegistroke, ScanGauge, AC's tuned by Swamps

-2003 F450 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" exhaust, Alcoas, Air ride, AIS, Garrett 38R, X-monitor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode