Leaking oil plug - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Back in a Powerstroke

Leaking oil plug

Anyone have any problems with their oil plugs leaking? Just did an oil change and replaced the copper washer and made sure the plug was tight, it helped out, but didn't completely stop the leak. It's an 02 PSD, any suggestions?

06 CCSB F350 Powerstroke 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 PM
OBS junkie

Re: Leaking oil plug

Did you get the little copper/plastic washer to go around it? I replaced the one on the 00 with a basic auto parts store one & didn't have another issue. Only problem is it has a slight pedistal & dipstick tube leak that will drip down & look like a plug leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
PSN Mega Miler

My 02 leaks too. Started doing it on this last oil change. I havent found a washer yet to replace the one that was on it when I got the truck. I need to remember to ask the parts houses around here if they have one.

Its more like having a constant drop of oil hanging on the drain plug all the time. Doesnt seem to really leak much or anything but Im watching the oil level to be safe till next oil change.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Back in a Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
Did you get the little copper/plastic washer to go around it? I replaced the one on the 00 with a basic auto parts store one & didn't have another issue. Only problem is it has a slight pedistal & dipstick tube leak that will drip down & look like a plug leak.
Yes I replaced the copper washer, the one that was on there looked as if it had been there forever. Everything above the bottom of the oil pan is dry, so I assumed it was the plug that was leaking. I will look further to see if it is the dipstick tube leaking also. Thanks.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Back in a Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
My 02 leaks too. Started doing it on this last oil change. I havent found a washer yet to replace the one that was on it when I got the truck. I need to remember to ask the parts houses around here if they have one.

Its more like having a constant drop of oil hanging on the drain plug all the time. Doesnt seem to really leak much or anything but Im watching the oil level to be safe till next oil change.
I got a replacement washer at Pep Boys. Mine also seems to be a constant drop hanging on to the drain plug. The truck will be sitting for a few days til the weather clears up so I can install my leveling kit, guess I'll see what size oil spot is under the truck then. Thanks.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Starting Over

grey rtv stuff is bad ass.You don't even have to get it half ass clean and it still stops the leak.Tacky sticky stuff.

20 bucks a tube and it takes less then a dime size.Put a little around the washer before you put the plug back in and tq it down no more leak.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Back in a Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post
grey rtv stuff is bad ass.You don't even have to get it half ass clean and it still stops the leak.Tacky sticky stuff.

20 bucks a tube and it takes less then a dime size.Put a little around the washer before you put the plug back in and tq it down no more leak.
I was thinking either that or maybe some sort of teflon tape. Your idea goes along the idea of a different style washer, I was thinking maybe rubber would make a better seal than copper. Thanks for the ideas.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:25 AM
Starting Over

I got one of those rubber oring washers from the AZ and it fell apart on the 2nd change.The inner sperated from the outer ring.I need to go to ford and just get oem it lasted allot longer

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 03:27 AM
2nd class citizen

i use a honda drain plug washer/gasket. go to the honda dealer and ask for a drain plug gasket for 1996 honda civic. you will never use the copper junk again.

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 04:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Honda drain plugs are all the same size. they also use an aluminum washer, but i use the same method as kainiers, been doing it for 15 years. we do it on all racing motorcycles too, can't have any leaks on the track!

02 dmax cc dually 4wd "miss piggy" tow bitch, afe pr7, magnaflow, Kennedy lift pump, dual rail mount filters, PPE tunes
00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
ats comp housing,bdp 1.0 exhaust,afe pr7,4in turbo back magnaflow,hx cross,di regulated return,bbha,dp hi,40,80e,120r,6.oh no cooler autometer gauges, dual rail mount filters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode