Rottella or Mobil Delvac? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Rottella or Mobil Delvac?

Which one should I use in a 7.3 OBS? Everything out at the farm I work at we use JD oil...on EVERYTHING, but never used in a 7.3. They only run Rot or Mobil Delvac on their 7.3. This is my first &.3 Powerstroke and I know they are picky on the oil to be used. Any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 AM
PSN Local

Re: Rottella or Mobil Delvac?

I used to run Rotella in mine but swiched to the Delvac about 20k miles ago. For some reason the Delvac does not turn black near as quick as the Rotella does. Delvac at 10k looks like Rotella at 3k. Bout to send the last batch off to get tested and see how it is with 10k on it.

2003 F250 7.3, 4" lift w/ 35" BFG AT's, 4" exaust straight piped, cai, PHP Phoenix 6pos chip,WW2 w/ Barder 360 kit, RS 9000 shocks
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 03:23 AM
PSN Veteran

holy fuk, i would never run dino oil to 10k miles let alone rotella or delvac... i assume its dino and not synthetic... ive ran just about every dino oil through my truck and the two that run the best is chevron delo and valvoline premium blue, valvoline premium blue is the best dino oil you can run do to its additive package... i think delo is third on the list. but when i used motorcraft, kendal, rotella, and delvac the cold starts and idle characteristics went to chit after 1k to 1500 miles and it smoked a little at idle and consumed more of it also. about a quart every 2k miles... the chevron delo and vpb idle didn't really change a lot till around 3k-3500 miles for the delo along with consuming a quart every 3k miles.... 4k-4500 for the vpb and consuming a quart every 5k miles..

00,f350 lariat,4x4,cc,drw,38r,bdp stage 2/170cc/100s,bdp live tunes,4''down 5''back,dieselsite adrenaline,diy RR w/walbro,bellowed uppies, BTS trans!

01, rclb, 4x4, zf6, caned ts tunes, xl work truck package, 4'' tbe

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 AM
PSN Local

Didn't run it that long on purpose...thought I had changed it earlier last year but got it mixed up with my other truck. Yes it is dino oil. That being said at 10k the truck ran no different than when I had fresh oil in it which is partly why I didn't think about an oil change. It used 2 quarts in that time period which was also due to some slow leaks on the hpop lines.

2003 F250 7.3, 4" lift w/ 35" BFG AT's, 4" exaust straight piped, cai, PHP Phoenix 6pos chip,WW2 w/ Barder 360 kit, RS 9000 shocks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 AM
PSN Newb

no rotella read something that is wipes out injector o rings
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 AM
PSN Veteran

i use rotella, so does my dad in his OBS, he used to use the chevron stuff but has been useing shell rotella for the last probably 5 years or more, no injector issues or o ring issues at all, the rotella is all i use in my truck aswell and no injector issues either....

01 ccsb

90 5.0 coupe- HCI, paxton blower

08 mazdaspeed 3- cobb intake, cobb springs, catback, 18's

07 srt8 jeep-CAI,lowered,22s

14 rzr1000- stock
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM
PSN Veteran

you guys can run whatever you want... i will only run VPB or if i have to delo..

00,f350 lariat,4x4,cc,drw,38r,bdp stage 2/170cc/100s,bdp live tunes,4''down 5''back,dieselsite adrenaline,diy RR w/walbro,bellowed uppies, BTS trans!

01, rclb, 4x4, zf6, caned ts tunes, xl work truck package, 4'' tbe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 PM
International Coal Roller

If its the right weight I would just run the JD oil and do 3k mi OCI, Ive seen farm trucks run forever on JD oil, aside from that Valvo Premium Blue gets my vote.

02 250 CCLB, 6 spd, PHP Phoenix, ISSPROs, AFE/6637 intake, 4" DE straight exhaust, WW, coolant filter with ELC, AIH delete, ebpv delete, bellowed uppies, 4" on 35's and racelines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode