Coolant help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Coolant help

Recently purchased a 95 7.3 w/157k miles. The truck had green coolant and a new water pump installed just before i bought it. I have unlimited amounts of green antifreeze available to me but want to make sure im not setting myself up for trouble later. Should i go with cat elc or the other elc's mentioned for my obs? Id rather not have to worry about the sca maintenance, but didnt know if having tons of free green coolant would be ok to keep fresh in there instead of the high dollar elc? I also noticed that i dont have any coolant leaks visible in the driveway but seem to always need to add 1/2'gallon of coolant to overflow tank, it doesnt smoke white while running, only a blueish that fades away after warmup..anynideas where it could be going? And lastly, a coolant filter? Is it necessary/overkill/or just a good idea ? Im new to the diesel world and full of questions and dont want to blow a bunch of money if not necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Coolant help

It is a good idea to run the coolant recommended by the manufacture which would be the SCA coolant or equivlaent. Although I have put the regular green stuff in while in a pinch and nothing bad happened. About the coolant filter it is neither necessary or overkill but its not a bad idea if you have the money. I have seen some pretty nasty things come out of a collant system. Sorry for the late responce and hope this helps.

2001 F250 CCLB, PHP Hydra, 6637, MBRP 4" exhaust and rear air bags

97' F250 ECLB, 7.3, Baby Swamps, Hydra w/swamps tunes, 6637, 3"dp 4" straight, Dana 60, 2.25 PMF RSK, Built Trans & Cooler, DIY efuel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode