Bio diesel safe for older trucks - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Bio diesel safe for older trucks

Someone sold me bio diesel and I have a 03 6.0 can I run my truck off of this without any mods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Bio diesel safe for older trucks

I've heard lots of success stories, however I would certainly err on the side of caution and mix it, if you're running it for the first time.
Bio is also a solvent, for lack of a better word, so it will take the crap and filth thats in your tank and lines and carry it to the filter, so be mindful of that as well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM
There can be only one

I'd suggest you upgrade your fuel system. The higher the bio content the more damaging to the system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2002 F250 CCSB 7.3L
AFE Stage 2, Muffler delete, Zone Offroad Nitros, dual SS,305/55/20 Trail Graps, SSBC brakes, TS Wildman, Autometer gauges, 6.5" Lift, '11 TG step/camera, Pioneer AV4400BTH, International Badges

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 PM
PSN Newb

I'm going to have to agree and disagree with highlandre, upgrading your fuel system is a good idea anyway, if you choose to run bio.
However, of course, depending on the quality of the fuel, bio is not damaging to the system at all, unless you drive a vehicle with rubber fuel lines, OR have poor quality fuel. Then you will run into issues, coking injectors, cold start problems, etc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 03:11 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandre View Post
I'd suggest you upgrade your fuel system. The higher the bio content the more damaging to the system.

WTH? If you're going to post up a comment like that, at least take the time to explain your generic statement. Someone might read this thread and actually believe what you wrote.

'06 Mega Cab Longbed 5.9
'00 Ford Excursion 7.3
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 04:09 AM
There can be only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBrooks View Post
WTH? If you're going to post up a comment like that, at least take the time to explain your generic statement. Someone might read this thread and actually believe what you wrote.
Or you could add to the conservation rather than throwing out insults. Here hope this helps. http://www.biodiesel.org/docs/ffs-ba...t.pdf?sfvrsn=6

2002 F250 CCSB 7.3L
AFE Stage 2, Muffler delete, Zone Offroad Nitros, dual SS,305/55/20 Trail Graps, SSBC brakes, TS Wildman, Autometer gauges, 6.5" Lift, '11 TG step/camera, Pioneer AV4400BTH, International Badges
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 AM
PSN Local

The op has a '03 6.0. The materials that were used to construct the fuel system are not the problem. Engine programming is the problem. The necessity for ASTM quality fuel is another. If I had a 6.0, I would not burn bio in it unless it met ASTM specs and was 5% or less of the total volume of fuel in the tank. Your link addresses none of this because it is very vague. Sound familiar?

I'm easily annoyed by posts that neither answer a question completely or correctly and easily misleads others who know little about the topic. If that offends you, I can't help you.

'06 Mega Cab Longbed 5.9
'00 Ford Excursion 7.3
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
There can be only one

Well perhaps if you're easily annoyed then you can provide better information so we can all learn. If not, then you're doing nothing to add to the conversation.

2002 F250 CCSB 7.3L
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Sponsor

Bio diesel is a generic term as well. Has it been through transesterfication or is it straight waste. What stock did it come from. If it is stripped did the methanol get cleaned out. What additives are present... Biodiesel can mean so many things. I would contact Ford directly to get the best answers to your questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode