What fluids to use for 6.0L - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What fluids to use for 6.0L

I'm new to diesels. I recently bought a 2004 f-250 6.0l with 200,000 miles. I want to change out most main fluids and filters because I don't now the maintanence history on it. What engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, water Seperater, transmission oil, trans filter is recommended?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 AM
PSN Local

Re: What fluids to use for 6.0L

Pretty new to this myself, but I've been told to run only motorcraft/racor filters (oil, fuel, air). Racor makes the filters and Ford puts Motorcraft on the box. As far as motor oil, most people say run a 5W40 synthetic but I'm sure there's a million different opinions on that subject. I'm not sure about trans. fluid, you'd have to ask someone or do a search on this site. There are some really helpful people on here and a ton of helpful threads. Also, the 6.0 are very sensitive to lack of maintenance so make sure you are changing fluids religiously. Good luck.

2006 F-250 CCSB A work in progress.....Scanguage II, Zoodad, High Idle Mod., Studded, Deleted
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 PM
More Power Tim

Only use the Motorcraft trans fluid for that thing!!!!!!!! OEM (motorcraft filters) for all filters. I buy mine from the dealership. I've told them I will buy only from them if they get me kinda close to Auto Parts store prices and they get me real close. Had a motorcraft from wal-mart come apart on me one time and that was the last time I bought ANY filters from wal-mart. Rumors of chinese rebranding was enough for me. Any quality NAME BRAND diesel oil is good but many have have better performance from the synthetic 5w-40 diesel formulas cause they start better when cold. Also..... and don't toy around with this one, not a good idea to go more than 5000 miles between oil changes, even with synthetics. The injectors shear down the oil to a 30 weight real quick. Many people have found that some of the conventional oils shear down in as little as 3000 miles.

The other really big deal with this motor is the coolant. Change it, change it, change it!!!!! This has found to be the cause of most catostrophic failures with this engine. Many of us run a coolant filter. Dieselsite has a good quality coolant filter system with plenty of replacement filters available at a reasonable price. There are many posts here as well as other ford diesel sites on coolant flushing. Do it and do it right. Many believe in NOT using the Ford gold coolant and switching to an ELC coolant, but many continue to use the Ford Gold with frequent flushes.

My best advice is to stick to the severe service maint intervals for all components.

As for the injectors.... many run an additive. Some use one once of 2 stroke oil per gallon of diesel fuel and others use a quality additive. The scheaffers ranks really high as far as additives go. I run Scheaffers oil and fuel additives so I get em shipped to my door for free as long as I buy 375.00 bucks worth of oil and additive which lasts me about a year and a half.

Last thing is DON/T PUT A TUNER ON THIS ENGINE!!!!!!!! Recipie for big money repairs in the 3 to 4 thousand dollar range. Blows head gaskets most of the time. There are remedies for this like ARP head studs but it still increases the risk of trouble. Do some reading on these items I've posted for you cause there is a TON of info on this truck on the forums.

Other forums you can check: Ford Truck Enthusiasts; Powerstroke.org,

2006 F-350 PSD FX4 CC LB SRW 4X4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 AM
PSN Newb

i run scheaffers 15x40 down south and only run ford filters, seems to run quiter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode